Forester MY06; More tread on the front or rear axle?

Hi,

My 2006 Forester has 2013 tires (about 7mm) on the front axle and 2009 tires (about 5mm) on the rear axle. All tires are from the same brand / model / size.

Question here is what's the best place to have the most tread tires? On the front or rear axle?

Now before we start the discussion I ask this since the Subaru's have AWD. I know that front wheel drive only or rear wheel drive only vehicle's it's best to have the most tread on the rear, I'm not intersted in this discussion!

Some back ground;

i have had for years a Kia Sorento (pre 2009) with the TOD system and one way to distroy this TOD system is having the most tread tires on the front axle. This has to do with the driven axle is the rear and the front axle kicking in when there is a speed difference between the rear and front axle. So the most tread (larger diameter) tires on the front makes the TOD constantly sending power to the front axle and wearing the magnetic clutch out, repair cost about £3000 at Kia. The newer Sorento's do have full time front wheel drive wiith the rear axle kicking in when needed.

Now as far as I understood my 2006 AUTOMATIC SG Forester has full time front wheel drive with the TOD system controlling the rear axle when needed.

Question here is what's the best place to have the most tread tires? On the front or rear axle?

btw; I did hack my TOD system;

http://youtu.be/-uABCiTjyoI

But that's another story for another day (one day I'm doing the same with the Forester)

Many thanks,

• Like 2

I have to say I'm well impressed bit of a dark horse Bitman ;) I'm not letting you anywhere near my Router  :lol:

As for the tyres could start along debate But myself I would put them on fronts more so if you are doing some off roading. But I'm sure you might get a few others giving you some advise here :D 

well did a bit of google around and as far i can think off is that the best tread (slightly larger diameter) needs to be on the front axle of my Forester. it's actually just the other way around then my late Sorento.

so the garage who did this was right as the last MOT (in 2013) did mention of a low tread advisory on both rear tires hence i have two 2013 tires and they did put them on the front B)

I would say its best to have the best tread on the front as thats where there is more going on (basing on off road conditions)

However for normal road driving i would have the better (grippier) tyre on the rear so you don't loose the back end…can be fun when your expecting it & its controlled.

I would say its best to have the best tread on the front as thats where there is more going on (basing on off road conditions)

However for normal road driving i would have the better (grippier) tyre on the rear so you don't loose the back end…can be fun when your expecting it & its controlled.

sorry, but i was talking auto the AWD system of my Subaru Forester Auto and not in general...