Help ! - Alarm issues - 2003 Forester XT

Hi everyone, I am new here but have owned several Subaru's in the past, and I just bought another one (2003 Forester XT) which seems to have an alarm issue I need to fix - can anyone help?

I collected the car (bought from auction) and everything was fine except it needed a jump start (oh oh!) when I got it home everything was fine except the tailgate would not unlock remotely. 

The next day (yesterday) I thought I would take a look, all the doors were unlocked?? and the alarm went off when I tried to start the engine, the key button seems to have no effect with either of the two keys. I disconnected the Battery to save my ears, left it for a couple of hours and re-connected the Battery and immediately the alarm went off - again no effect from either key button.

Is there a fault, a way of resetting the alarm, do I need to change Battery in the key, or am I doing something really stupid?

Any help greatly appreciated....

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll take a look at the previous thread, as soon as the Battery is connected the alarm goes. The remote key does work as it switches the red light on the dash on or off when you press the key Derrr ??

No, not near an antenna Jay< I guess you are thinking of interference?

Anyhow i'll try the solution from the previous thread tomorrow

Cheers