Looking for info :)

Hi all I have just stumbled across you forums and have to say it is a great source of information :)

I am after a little bit of advice really, Im looking a project I can do with my 6 year old son, neither of us have any knowledge about cars (although I work as heating engineer so have a decent gasp of mechanical and electrical systems) . My son really loves the look of subaru's (sega rally) and I was thinking of get a low budget one (£500-£750) Im guessing these are thrashed and have quite a few problems ?

I'm looking for something that is not going to be a huge money pit and something that is easy to work on,(would love to learn about turbos as well).

Would a subaru fit the bill ?

thanks in advance for any info :)

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

I think anything around the that price would need a fair bit of cash throwing at it engine rebuild that type of thing, but you never know I guess seen that happen with £5,000 cars. I've seen some classic shape wagons going for around that price that have had high milage. With a subaru I'd be looking at around £1,000 to £1,500 mark as a project car in all honesty I think you could get a pretty good one by looking around and maybe traveling further than you would normally helps. Unless you are lucky and have a few with in the area of good quality for the money :)

Thanks for the reply , I guess I'm kind of after on with problems as I want to learn :) and love getting things back up and running. How expensive are parts ? Can u strip down and rebuild a engine fairly easily? I'm guessing it is a long time consuming process but is it technically difficult ? I have seen a few on eBay that have problems but how expensive of a problem I do not know. :)

I'm just a keen learner but have no idea what model to go with as there are so many different models and years of manufacturing wish I assume can make a massive difference in part prices and weather or not you can easy obtain them at a breakers yard.

Wotcha and welcome - If you go for a car that is all running but needs attention - which should be possible with the budget Gambit suggested, you will be able to conduct a full refurbishment of everything and learn as you go and also get a taste of teh good stuff before you start taking things apart. If you get a car with major issues to start with you can end up chasing your tail for ages.

We have threads on here about full engine rebuilds (Savage + Tlag) and also some on the drive improvements (Bazza + Rollomite) there are many other examples of members doing great stuff to their cars in the project section.

I dont think any of the Subaru technology incl turbos are out of your capability.

They are as cheap or expensive as you want to make them but modding is addictive so beware ;)

• Like 1

I think Jay said everything I was going to and hit the nail on the head. :D

I have some guides/workshop manuals I can let you have when you know which car you have, and we like our Project cars on here so will be happy to see lot's of pictures and help out in anyway you can :)