Major problem

Leecalcars

Right as some of you may know I've changed the turbo on the car 3 times now and when leaving to come to the states on Friday the drive was cancelled as it has killed another !

The oil pick up pipe was checked but obviously there is a major problem somewhere along the line .

The car seemed fine for around 15 or so miles then at a steady constant I felt a kick in it and knew then there was the same problem again !!!

I limped into a safe area called a taxi and caught my plane .

My mates have been to pick the car up it get it home for me today and another turbo now gone not sure what it could be but it ain't right and needs sorting any ideas anyone ?

Lee

Would that just not throw up a low oil pressure warning light ? It could be a cam sensor not sure how the variable timing heads work but I'm sure it'll be a sensor gone down somewhere but think the oil is the issue to the turbo as it's killed 3 now !

I would drop the sump ɑnd have all the oil ways cleaned!! Ιs there not a strainer on the oil pickup?? I'll bet that's blocked!! My mates got his own garage! Had an Audi a4 turbo in last week!! 34k on the clock! Dead turbo due to no oil!

Pickup was blocked to fook!! Long life service my !Removed!!!

• Like 1

TD04 turbos are fussy on on oil supply & even minor reduction can cause bearing failure.

Check oil pressure with manual gauge just to rule it out & thoroughly check oil feed & drain on turbo, check banjo bolt on oil feed for mesh filter & if has one clean or remove it, clean & test flow of all pipes. If unusual debris is found do further inspection. I would do thorough engine flush & good oil/filter as final step once main cause found (probably blocked gauze filter in banjo bolt if yours has one)

• Like 2

If the oil return was loose woulkd this cause a problem ? theres no leaks ive checked gona drop the oil on my return from the states change the turbo again ,no oil lights coming up or cel lights it has to be a blockage somewhere on the oil feed ,the pipes have been checked ,just wondereing if there is a gauze on the pipe coming off the head that is blocked ive heard allsorts of rumors when doing an engine flush apart from this problem the car runs sweet just killing turbos this will be the 4th one !!!!!

You need check feed of oil through pipe to turbo & the oil pressure at the feed pipe outlet if no blockages or pipe/fitting damage found. Return loose ! leaking !? any irregularities need looking into as even a TD04 is pricey when on 4th unit.

General engine oil pressure check would be good & fitting quality oil filter & recheck if readings low.

Most common issue is clogged gauze on banjo fitting for oil feed so check that if applicable to your exact model.

Got back from the States yesterday and set too on the fault with my forester, after 6 hrs of dremmiling and chiseling I finally got the nut of that holds the up pipe bracket to up pipe ,the nut was seized solid and rounded of got it off after a lot of hard work then removed the banjo bolt onto cylinder head and removed the gauze filter put it back together problem solved cleared the ecu of fault codes all good .

Thanks for the advice chaps appreciate it. Apparently subaru recalled this problem on warranties back in 2007 to remove them I think the issue is basically the car hasn't had regular servicing ie oil and filter I did mine today took all of half hour and cost about 30 quid ...! No excuse really but all fixed now problem solved runs a dream !!!