Tablet install

Well I have got a nice cheap 7" tablet for nav and music and looking to install in in the centre console. The basic plan is to move the cigarette lighter somewhere (not decided yet) take the little draw thingy out, move the single din unit down to where the draw and cigarette lighter were.

Then move the 'Bright', headlight level, and headlight washer button to the blanks around the handbrake cable.

The tablet isn't a perfect size for the gap however which is where my question comes in. It is about 0.5cm to tall and a 1cm to narrow when laying on the side. Whats the best way to cut the dash for the height? (What tools to get and all that.) Was thinking of making a mounting bracket to go on the back of the unit that was the correct size so the narrowness isn't the issue.

Any ideas are welcome especially on the tools, never really worked on an interior before.

I'm doing a similar type job at the moment on my Legacy dash. I've found the best tools are, in no particular order:

Dremel,

Tape measure,

Sharpy pen,

Patience,

Filler,

Patience,

Wet and dry paper,

And did I mention, patience.

As said above by Tlag. Oh and more Patience and wet and dry paper with a tad more patience. :) 

It is a long winded project even though mines all in and works I've still not full finished the out side surround mainly because a fly flew into the top coat when it was still wet :( 

I feel a room for this kind of project could be useful :)

I agree I would normally use the garage with the log burner on but it was in the day and really nice sunny day thought it would have been perfect to get it done :( 

This is what I did a few years ago when I fitted a PC to the car. This was a 7" touchscreen.

DSCN0502.jpg

And this is what I'm currently working on. It started life as this.

IMAG0030_zps98a69dd4.jpg

And currently looks like this, although not finished yet. This is just mocked up.

imagejpg1_zpsbc38d4ad.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice and patience seems to be the key as with painting and sanding. I have one other criteria which I forgot, I need to be able to get the tablet out. My basic plan was to move everything as stated in the original post. Then use a case that I buy as a base for my work, basically have a backing plate the size of the hole with the case integrated into it to, using something like the case in the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Universal-Leather-Stand-Case-Cover-For-7-7-Inch-Tab-Android-Tablet-PC-/360817066771?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=&hash=item54025f8313

I would take the folding part off and just have the backing plate, and extend it to fill the hole. I would then have a mount in the dash board which I can remove the tablet from and it would be set back a bit keeping some glare off it hopefully, also wouldn't have to use any filler with luck and would have minimal cutting of the dash. Wouldn't look as sleek or well integrated as yours Tlag but would do what I needed and wanted and for very little money.