Strange feel on bugeye steering

stevieg

My new '02 bugeye has a strange feel to the steering when turning,in a straight line it is fine but when i get to a roundabout and turn the wheel to about 10 past or 10 to it goes stiff and wants to throw the wheel straight,when you have gone past 10 past it seems o.k. Has anybody had this problem,i'm thinking it might be a stiff/seizing steering u joint?

• 1 month later...

Well,i had it up on axle stands today while i fitted new discs and pads and i think it's the rack,gripping a wheel on either side and moving it lock to lock the is a binding spot,if you snatch it back it also makes an internal clunk,bit of a strange one,still drives fine except for roundabouts where if you just go round and round it weaves and you cannot keep a smooth turning circle.I had a good look underneath while a friend turned the wheels and could find absolutely no play,i also gave the steering u/j a good soaking with wd-40 but no difference,i saw you can buy internal as well as external track rods for the scooby rack,are these inner rods prone to failure? 

I'm guessing you have checked the power steering fluid ? Just checking the obvious 1st :) 

Do you hear any sort of noise when it's at that point like a whining noise ?

Just give your steering belt a once over too might be wearing out and I would try grease up all the joints on the rack. Could be that the steering rack is on it's way though :( 

Fluid is topped up and it's just had new belts,not a whine,screech or anything,just this lumpy/notchy feel at  a certain turning arc,anyway just bought a s/h rack off eBay which i will put new inner and outer track rods and new boots on and hope that does the trick,should do,there's not much else left it can be!