Hello from The Lake District

Hi Everyone,

Greetings from the Lake District, I've just bought my first Subaru Impreza turbo which I hope will serve me well, I'v bought it to enjoy the country roads round here and possibly take on a couple of track days. In theory it's a great start and it drove well on the test drive on Saturday. It came with all new tyres, 12 months MOT and the body and interior seem in decent condition for the age with 102k miles. I bought it on Saturday, was away all day Sunday and Started it up today, haven't taken it out yet. However I'm slightly concerned as when I started it today the ""check engine light" came on. All the levels seem ok, oil, water etc. although it's low on fuel, (I'll get some tomorrow) there also seemed to be a slight knocking noise on the engine although this wasn't there on the test drive. I contacted the guy who I bought it from and he said "No lights ever came on for me, i no if i left it for a few days and started it, it cud b a bit tappety till it got warm, but i think that's down to the racing oil. But once warm and the oil had circulated properly its fine wid no noises."

Any thoughts/suggestions as to what the light could mean and on a different notes, what are good value upgrades for brakes and suspension if I do take it on a few track days?

Thanks

post-875-0-48637700-1369082785_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-52660300-1369082788_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-47845300-1369082797_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking ride mate I like it a lot. And I have to say the Lake District has to be one of the best parts of the country in summer :) I think your car will be very well suited for the roads around there too :D

And for the knocking noise is there anyway of uploading a video to you tube and link it hear for better help with that please :)

• Like 1

Wotcha and welcome - that is a great looking car - if the knocking does go away I would agree with the other comments running maybe a slightly thicker oil or keeping with the thin stuff but wait until it is settled before driving.

The outside looks clean has the engine bay had the same attention?

102K is not a stupidly high mileage particularly if there is a service history so it may just be the oil needs to get around the engine - bearing in mind with thinner oil it will run straight to the sump when you stop leaving parts uncoated internally the heavier weights or things like castrol magnetec will leave a thin layer

Hello, the check engine light could be any number of different sensors. Without looking at the vehicle it is difficult to diagnose. But we recommend upgrades offered by SPT - Subaru Performance Tuning.

Feel free to ask any more questions to us anytime.

www.PremierSubaru.com Ask Bob or click on service tab and ask anyone .

Hello, the check engine light could be any number of different sensors. Without looking at the vehicle it is difficult to diagnose. But we recommend upgrades offered by SPT - Subaru Performance Tuning.

Feel free to ask any more questions to us anytime.

www.PremierSubaru.com Ask Bob or click on service tab and ask anyone .

There are some items available in the US domestic market only - would you ship internationally?

Morning Gents,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and hints and suggestions. I'll try resetting the ecu with these plug connectors, put some fuel in, let it warm up and see how it sounds then. Maybe changing for a slightly thicker oil is the way to go although what is the best oil for spirited driving and possible track day use? Is the .slick 50 the one to go for? I'll also take a pic of the engine bay since it was mentioned. 

Thanks

Slick 50 is an oil treatment / additive and there is a product designed for engines over 75K miles on the clock, use of a decent oil should mean you don't need the additives however where things like that do come into their own is if the engine has thick oily deposits internally that need breaking down so completing an engine flush as part of a service routine would address that. 

With the oil it is as much to do with its capability to withstand shear under load as how thick - we have a resident oil guru (oilman) who would be able to give specific recommendations for your model and maybe more peace of mind than one of the forum member could. He also provides a discount to club members using SUBOC at the checkout.

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/872-club-update-from-oilman-opie-oils/

complete the search recommendations for your car here

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-finder/car/engine-oil/subaru/product-finder-2.aspx

some oil info

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/323-lubricating-a-modified-car-some-info-from-oilman-opie-oils/

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/320-some-basic-oil-advice-from-oilman-opie-oils/

Many thanks for all the replies, I'll have a look into the oils side of it. The check engine light I assume isn't major as it seems depends on the angle the car is sitting at as to whether it comes on or not, when I started it today it didn't come on, when I moved it to wash it where it sits on a slope it came on, when I put it back again afterwards and blipped the throttle it went off again, so perhaps the oil is too thin that's in it.

Inside the engine bay doesn't looks quite so great but it has new belts all round, cam, alternator, etc so it should be sound enough. Her it is at home after a wash. 

post-875-0-92854500-1369160285_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-94451900-1369160289_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-01075900-1369160294_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-53250000-1369160297_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-83504300-1369160301_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-31030700-1369160306_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-10018700-1369160311_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-59247300-1369160315_thumb.jpg