Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'bearing'.
Found 1 result
So our XV (2012) has just hit 70,000 miles and a couple months ago one of the rear wheel bearings started to go bad. It was just before the Mot and I didn't have time to deal with it so let the Mot garage do the work. To get a subaru part was going to cost ~£180+vat so they ended up fitting an aftermarket part for around £120 + 2 hours labour. Anyway fast forward a couple months and the other side starts to rumble. I managed to get a subaru one from ebay for the price of an aftermarket one, and with some spare time thought I'd have a go myself. Last weekend I watched a few YouTube videos and started taking things apart. All went well until the final removal of the assembly. That thing would not budge! I spent a couple hours trying everything to get it out with no luck. As time was marching on and my wife needed the car the next day I soaked what I could with penetrating spray, cut my losses and put it all back together. Fast forward to today. Having a better understanding of what I was getting myself into I went down to my friends unit so we could use the lift and have a better go at it. To start with we tried the same deal, put the 4 bolts through loosely from the back and hit them with a hammer. No go. Put everything back together loosely and roll car back and forward left and right to try and break the rust. No go. Three prong puller on the drive shaft/axle. I stopped when I thought I was going to wreck the CV joint. In the end we had to release the two non pillow /ball connections to the suspension (of a toltal 4) so we could get enough movement of the hub to pull the axle out. After that, bolt it all together again to hold it firm. We then tried another puller but couldn't get anything solid to pull against. Eventually it came down to getting the biggest socket we could onto the back of the housing and hitting it as hard as we could again and again. Anyway, once it popped out, I cleaned up the rust put a large amount of copper grease on and put the new one in. So in short. If you have some rust on your car, don't trust the YouTube videos, and be prepared to get some use out your big hammer. If it doesn't go easily you might have to go to pound town on it. 💪