What sort of battery do i need

farmerpug

I went to start the forester, its been sitting for a few weeks unused, the Battery was so flat i had to unlock the car with the key, its completley done, ive had it on the charger in the past and it didn't work only parking it on the hill/pull starts gets it going.

There is nothing round the farm that fits or has the terminals on the correct side, what type of Battery should i go looking for, is there any other japanese car that i could get a Battery out of in the scrapyard that would do?

hopefully something along the lines of this spec

Voltage : 12v
Ampere-Hour Capacity at 20hr rate Ah: 60Ah
Cold Cranking Performance (Amps) SAE/EN1: 390
Dimentions LxWxH: 230mm x 173mm x 222mm
Terminal Layout: Negative (-) on left, Positive (+) on right; with the terminals on the edge of the Battery closest to you

as long as you get the same capacity and enough to crank it you should be laughing, (don;t hold me to this i'm no spark) i have some ghetto brand Battery in mine at the moment, but a friend has a vitara in his legacy and it is a little smaller but he assures me it's the same rating,

a new one looks to be around a ton so maybe the scrappy to start, i wouldn't bother with jap cars with a Battery in the boot, normally a gellmat construction, lower rated and a ball ache as you can't bump/jump as it kills the Battery for good and you have to give them a 3 day charger or something daft from flat to condition, 

may not be much help but who knows, !

• Like 2

I see it last night but was late though sort it in the morning then got really busy this morning so had to do it when I got chance which was now :D Oh well all's fair in love and war Haha

Oh and cambelt :unsure:  them dreaded words. mind you will need to do mine by the end of the year/start of next I'm guessing :(

Thanks for the response, ill need to get a day off to go looking for the Battery.

I mentioned japanese cars i did not mean JDM spec subarus,

i mean other japanese cars that would be a bit more common over here (as there are not many subarus on the roads here), ie nissan primeara, toyota avensis etc something that would be easy to find in the scrapyard, would these sort of cars have a Battery with the terminals "the wrong way about" :D

Most cars with round terminals will have them the way you need them, most motor factors can get you the right Battery off the numbers on it, as long as you find a car with a 2.0 engine you should be fine, batteries are only used for starting the car not for powering the electrics, the alternator does that when the cars running, always put you foot on the clutch when starting, especially in cold weather, this causes less drag when turning it over and this puts less strain on the starter motor and the Battery

• Like 1