Legacy Outback Transcooler pipe corrosion

DavidK

Hello everyone

I am a new member of the forum. I retired in 2006.  I have owned my Legacy Outback H6 Auto since new in 2002. I don't use it intensively, in fact it has only just passed 55000 miles since new. We mainly use it to tow our caravan. We have been across Europe with it. Generally, I have been very pleased with the car and its performance although  fuel consumption is high but I expected this for a 3 litre car towing.

I have recently experienced a problem with corrosion of the transcooler pipes. It was pointed out to me on its last MOT. The corrosion is at the engine end of the pipes at the bottom below the Battery. I attach a photo taken from below the car. At first I thought in might be that some Battery acid had split and run down the pipes as the Battery is directly above the point where the corrosion has occurred. However, on having the pipes stripped out I couldn't see any other signs of corrosion higher up on the pipes or on the body panels, so I guess it might be from road salt. I am surprised that the pipes seem to be made of mild steel. The replacement pipes took 10 weeks to come from Japan and the car is now back in good health. I was a little curious that the pipes seem to take a detour out and under the nearside wing near the battery on their way from the auto gearbox to the bottom of the radiator. I presume that there is a additional cooler under the wing. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I look forward to replies and a mutually useful relationship with the Subaru owners club

David

post-3525-0-37306900-1418374389_thumb.jp