Newbie help

TomS3

Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some advice and purchasing an Impreza. I don't really know much about the cars as there are many variations. I'm looking for something between an 06 plate through to 09 plate. What are the most common things people look for when buying??

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Welcome along to the club Tom! Not sure on those years but on classics and now reported on newer cars it's rusty rear arches. Another common is power steering pumps.

Try to find a car with a good bit of service history behind it. So you got peace of mind with it being looked after.

Are you looking for a turbo impreza?

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah definitely turbo Impreza, I don't personally think I couldn't not have a turbo car. I may have got the years totally mixed up. I meant in regards to Hawkeye, and the variations named similar. This would be my first venture towards jap cars.

My current car is only a 3 door and pretty fed up of the tedious work of getting kids and out the back so looking for something 4 wheel drive, relatively reliable, fuel consumption no real issue as it will only tend to transport the Mrs and kids about.

You got the classics which are all pre 2000 and they have their own versions (v1 v2 and such). Bug eye from 2000 to 2003, blob eye from 2003 to 2005/55 plate. Hawk eye on until the hatchback.

I have a classic turbo 2000 myself and have tried to extend my knowledge on those before confusing myself with any other models. I'm still learning myself too [emoji4]

The hawkeyes have the 2.5l engine which changed the tax bracket which a lot of people seem to avoid.

That kind of clears things up. Is there a lot of tuning potential across all variations with simple bolt on modifications. I think I'd tend to be looking to get close to 400 hp. Again I don't know if this is achievable.

My car isn't far off that power at the moment and don't tend to want to go backwards however if the car is set up nice and provides good drive ability that is then the main priority

2.5 - 400bhp is do able mate, BUT the 2.5 isnt the best engine out the box even in sti form they normally need additional forging to go to that extent! You can get a 07 sti for about 7-10k depending on what spec you go for,

basically all the special models drive the price up, If you find a JDM 2.0 hawkeye these are very sought after (what i would go for) and can see upwards of 400bhp out the box 

the 2.5 gets slated (built for the american market really). about 5k gets a rebuild and certain 

The way a impreza drives tho is something else!! (ive had a few fast cars too)

• Like 1

My current car is an audi S3 and running 385 Bhp but the initial drive is pretty poor with a lot of under steer when pushed hard. Takes quite a few upgrades to get things right. A few guys local to me have Imprezas and the sound is awesome (this is what is really making me need a subaru). Are they permanent 4 wheel drive? Based on your response Matt I think I'll sway away from the 2.5 litre and look into the 2.0. What does the jdm mean?

JDM = Japanese domestic Market (import) 

is it a ph1 or 2 s3? my mate had a powerful series 2 and !Removed! that was heavy to chuck about !! 

They are perm 4wd mostly! unless you can find a widetrack (my preffered option) has DCCD which is a active diff control so you can sling it to rear wheels if you wanted to have some fun! 

It's the second shape. Known as an 8p. They take a bit of setting up to get right. They're are quick just no good for family as a 3 door.

They are a lot of options, think its going to take some time to find the right one.

Again thanks for your input