Xv need running in?

daboxerman

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks both. Running in going nicely and mostly resisted temptation to floor it . Have a run out from London to Oxford next week so now iz've got 200+ miles I might see what it's made of. Will also post pics though it's been not fit to send a dog out since I bought it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Coming back to this almost six months in. Stuck to your advice about running it in.

However, it now has close to 6k miles on it from new and still sounds like a cross between a Dennis fire engine and a tractor. Loud, rattly especially when cold. As a reminder I have the 2 litre diesel.

All the diesels rattle when cold, I had a brand new one the other day that rattled until it had warmed very quiet after that. I think it's just a characteristic of the boxer diesel.

Is it ok when warmed up? Mines a but rattly when cold but is fairly quiet once warm, until you open the taps up.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

I think that's just the boxer diesel, I know that the 2.0d forester is the same, guessing the outback diesel is too.

I tend not to mind because it does pull well and surprises a lot of other cars at traffic lights if you're in that frame of mind

I am occasionally in that frame of mind. Especially when there is just me and sometimes my son in the front. It really does pull, but there is like a two second delay. As long as you factor that into your planning when grimacing to the person you're pulling away from.

Try using BP Ultimate Diesel

yes cost a few pence more but that's one of the first things I noticed

how much quieter the engine was also how much more responsive the car is too

several friends say the same on other makes of car too :-)

Not sure why you've got a 2 second lag, I don't get that feeling in mine, mine seems to pull straight off the line.

I tried putting Shell super diesel in mine and to be honest it didn't like it that much, made the car a bit jerky. So might be a case of seeing how yours goes if you try a super fuel.

Just had the same thought today and filled with Shell super. Too early to say if its making a difference as was a partial fill.

As for acceleration, it gets away ok but then when chaning to 2nd and 3rd seems to d-r-a-g when foot goes down, then a surge when it kicks in. My first diesel in 30'yrs of driving thiough