first wrx

RICARDO

hello to all. ive just bought my first 1994 impreza wrx  import, 

i wasnt aware they were ristricted to 112mph. lol. bit of a nightmare when i had to drive it all the way from manchester to london. 

i was wondering if you guys could help im trying to find a way to deristrict it. how could i go about it? 

also the car came with original 18" KREUZER SERIES X from japan. however they are too big and doesnt allow any body roll around corners they just rub on both front and back arches. if anyone is interested let me know. im looking for some wide 17" but what would you recommend? 

thanks 

ricardo

Wotcha and welcome - we have a few classic owners on here so hopefully some advice will be along shortly.

It would be great to see some pictures of your car and also you could do some specifically for the wheels in the for sale section

The limiter is mechanical in that it ECU controllers the fueling by taking a reading from the speedo. So to delimit You need to get a delimiter/converter. This fits between the speedo cable parts and has a little gear box that changes the speedo cable and needle to read as MPH.

Best bet for this the converter would be Subaru breakers like South East Imprezas 07891129485, Jap Performance parts + 44 (0)1293 520090. They would prob have an import they can take one off.

You then need to get a speedo dial that is in MPH, the breakers may have these but will prob only sell the whole binacle rather than just the dials. I got mine from http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/subaru-dials-c192.html.

• Like 2

Thanks guys much appreciated. In regards to the converter is it an expensive jobs?

Is there physical power gains with the converter Or is it mainly top end gain?

Going to get some pictures and I'll post them thru. You will understand what I mean about the rims. Once you see the pics. What would you guys recommend as some of the best performance upgrades?

What's differences would I get overall by changing the ecu to a Euro spec or the ra spec? like what's the difference between the standard Japan Ecu or a z4 ecu? I'm just not very clued up on some of the specs

Car looks tidy though. Myself it was mine would colour code some of the body parts and slap the STI spoiler on the back but part from that think it was a good buy :)

And with better gains making the car lighter breaks bigger turbo injectors. You could go on for ever :) As I've found out lol

depends what goal in mind set you have really. :D But I would start with getting it de restricted, not sure if you will see anymore power or not but for one of the reason's cave diving would be no good for me, feeling restricted would do my head in :)

As far as I know Swapping the ECU will not derestrict it, as It an mechanical limiter tied into to the Speedo.

Even if you did swap the ECU you would still be getting KPH through the Speedo and this would mess with the ECU as the UK ECU are probably programmed to MPH not KPH.

I would call a Subaru Specalist and Chat to them. Pete at South East Imprezas would be a good bet for the bit and advice you need.

• Like 1