sorry i'm being lazy questions !

stants

As the title suggests I've done a few searches but you end up with  so much info you never asked for,

the car didn't come with anything in the way of a user manual or anything helpful so... it's a 97 turbo,

1,  what oil does it like ?

2, where are the trolley jack/axle stand points or somewhere suitable for jacking the car up without using the factory scissor jack,

how do i remove the transmission console gear surround ? gear gaiter's knackered and I've ordered a nice new one, I've read somewhere that getting the knob separated from the boot is a bit of a struggle 

i'm sure i'll add to this when I've thought of some more  :rolleyes:

Cheers 

1, 5w-40 or 10w-30

check out the Opie Oils website - they give a discount for S.O.C. members

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-finder/car/engine-oil/subaru/1997/forester/PETROL/product-finder-2.aspx

2, I use the main box section that runs under the car for my trolley jacking point

3, Ill pass on that one to someone who has owned that model B)

• Like 1

Managed to get the gear surround off it just unclips and is in two bits which is nice.

Underneath is a different matter, the gaiter is held on by a set of little posts which the leather goes over which is held in place by

little circlip o'ring type things.

They look very fragile i've tried gently getting a screw driver underneath and work them up the post but i think the post will snap. Circlip pliers won't work as the ring seems pressed on, any ideas ? There's about 8 of them :(

I changed a leather gaiter on a Honda CRV the other eek sounds a bit the same part from they had used staples to hold the original one in place, all I did was used tie raps to hold it in place but found the silver surround was really what keeps it held down once replaced.

After much hunting random hardware shops i managed to find hlthe offending clips and refitted a lovely new gaiter, got home last night to find more bits and bobs had arrived in the post for the car. Obvoiusly the most important mod has take preference on top of the fitting list. My oc sticker lol ! :)

I forgot to ask when i asked what oil it takes if it was fully synth or semi ? (Opie site still playing up) And finally what is correct methodo checking oil ? From cold or run to operating temp then wait a bit and check ?

Cheers

• Like 1

Excellent cheers for that,

i've been checking when stone cold and when it's been run for a while. Whoever decided on a black coloured dipstick needs a pat on the back, I've never understood that got one in my van too can never find the !Removed! level.

At least the car has got little holes in it making it easier to read