Hello all. New to the subaru world

Andyw

Hi all.

Just got my first Subaru a few weeks ago. Got myself a 1997 classic wagon. 101k. Just up until I save for a turbo next year or year after(and until the kids grow up a little bit)

So as you can guess, non turbo, lots of sound and no shove. But still lovely to drive. I knows there's probably sections of the forum for this, but does anyone have any nice intro tips to impreza classic non turbos, engine, body, suspension etc.

• Like 1

Hello mate welcome to S.O.C 

As you said best places to start is to strip any weight from the car you don't need brakes and suspension are all best places to start :) as for which ones to use I'm not too sure what the non turbo guys have as a choice. 

Hey thanks.  Actually not sure what you were going on about there. haha. Was just asking if theres anything I should be checking now, and whats the most common wear items.  classic wagon known faults, etc. 

Oh I thought you was asking about anything to improve the car :D 

well have a guide here for when buying a car but might be helpful 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

top rear struts seem to be the biggest weak point on them. so I'd give them a check over know to rust pretty bad. 

Ah magic,  cheers.  I do have a slight knocking in the rear end somewhere,  sounds suspension related,  also slight whining, not sure if gearbox or transfer box.  Cant find much guides for subarus,  had a few different makes of cars before this and heaps of dribble on net,  not much for subarus. 

what year do you have I might have a workshop guide kicking about. most things Subaru related Youtube has a video for but not always. The suspension on these do tend to dry up and make a knocking noise or creek mine does the same so might be nothing. These car do tend to be a bit more noisy than most :) 

1997 model although it says 1998 on reg docs as was registered 1st of January 1998 haha!! Only problem with you tube videos is,  I have no 3g signal in my garage as I live in the country side, wifi doesn't reach that far and im definitely not taking my laptop out to my workshop, haha,  I like everything old skool on paper so I can make notes, scribble etc haha. 

Thanks for welcome. Yeah printed out all the PDFs haha. Got a slight oil leak to sort out, rocker is a problem I see on net. So will be checking that first, then a service, timing etc.

Also got a new front bumper without headlight washers, and new turbo bonnet that's going black. For a car that cost me under 1k with 101k miles. Can't complain, oh and it's got a 3" full exhaust by looks of it, someone said could be a ninja exhaust. Wrx alloys, Wrx bucket seats? And some stupid induction kit that wil be getting chucked!!

• Like 1

Yep rockers well known to leak not a huge problem but nice to have sorted. Think mine might have even start again but 1st time since the rebuild so not to bad :) sounds like it was a good buy to me :) 

Rockers best of paying someone to do it as the hassle outweighs the cost,

Remove airbox & washer bottle, plugs leads oil filler tube, release engine mounts jack up slightly, undo rocker cover clean replace gasket put all back together again . Fiddly as hell

Whine from the rear is more likely to be a wheel bearing

Ah magic, cheers. I do have a slight knocking in the rear end somewhere, sounds suspension related, also slight whining, not sure if gearbox or transfer box. Cant find much guides for subarus, had a few different makes of cars before this and heaps of dribble on net, not much for subarus.

I had knocking on forester when accelerating or slowing down or going over bumps. It was one of the links at the back I think it cost me £45 all in including parts and labour.

Definitely not paying a garage to do it. From what I've seen, looks simple once everything is out the way etc.

I have wrx front seats I think?? Haha will get a pic tomorrow, rear seats are old poor looking things haha, need rid of them. For under 1k I can't complain though.