knocking going over bumps

auldboy58

Hi guys,I am getting a knocking from the front end (around the bulkhead area I think)when going over speed bumps, small potholes etc,sounds like bushes somewhere,as I am disabled I can't get under the car to suss out the knocking,help please.

Most likely be the droplinks (rubbish design) or anti roll bar bushes, could even be the suspension top mounts, but I'd doubt it, I've changed pretty much everything for new bushes etc and still get a dull thud/clunk from time to time,

• Like 1

On SG it more than likely the drop links, very easy test the front suspension & the usual bushes & mentioned links are cheap.

A decent garage will sort that for an hours labour in most cases ...

Hi, just joined up and bizarrely saw your post which is exactly what I had. Replaced the drop links today with an hours labour and hey Presto, knocking gone and steering now tighter too. Good luck.

cheers guys,I was hoping that was the answer,I'll get the drop links and anti roll bar tested at the weekend.Also are the titanium spark plugs any good.

Regarding your question on the Titanium Spark Plugs, it is a good idea to replace your standard plugs with THE CORRECT EQUIVALENT Titanium or Platinum or even better if you can. When Subaru introduced their twin cam 16 valve engine they marketed the vehicles so fitted with these plugs because of their longevity. It is not easy to change plugs on a 16 valver boxer engine, so the plugs are supposed to last 100,000 km. I would say it is expensive, comparatively speaking, but worth it.

Hey, i spotted this thread last week and as i have the same problem i went and checked my drop links and they looked pretty worn. I ordered 2 of the  MEYLE units and put one of them on yesterday. Knocking is already gone. :D

I'm going to do the other one today but i wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread. 

Just fyi, there fairly easy to do yourself but make sure you've got some good allen keys and some mole grips, the thread of the drop links spins with the bolt so you either have to insert an allen key and hold it still while undoing it with a spanner, or clamp the rubber side with mole grips to stop it spinning. Obviously i wouldn't do the clamp method when putting the new ones on so some decent allen keys are a must.