playing with my subaru

vespanutuk

hello all,

I am new to subarus, ive had many different cars but fancied something abit ifferent so bought a 2.0 awp forester on a 52 plate but with a private plate on it.

ive had to do a couple of bits to it like cv joint boots and bearings and anti roll bar bushes but fine with that.

what I need to know if someone can help is about tuning it a little.

I have been told by a couple of places that doing the exhaust and putting an induction kit on will inprove the power of the car ( I was going to do this anyway )

I have then been told by several tuning shops not to bother with a stainless sports exhaust or anything else as it wont make any difference as my car is the non turbo version.

so what do people on here think?

also I can get a cat back stainless exhaust without a problem, but am having real trouble finding a suitable induction kit unless I go for a flexi hose universal kit, does anyone know of a place I can get a decent kit?

looking forward to your help.

I will get a pic of the car on here when ive washed it, I was at a very dusty rally over the weekend and the car is filthy :rolleyes:

welcome to the forum fella, theres becoming a bit of a following for the forester now

as for the induction kit, if you look for one for an impreza of the same age it is the same 2.0 N/A engine in the sport imprezas

with regards an exhaust, with a N/A car you will get a gain with the induction and exhaust mods just not as much as a turbo

does the car have the scooby rumble noise to it? if not then get an unequal length exhaust manifold and it will give you the rumble, don't get a huge bore system all the way through as this will lessen the power, most people think the bigger the bore then better the power gain, this is only true with forced induction, with a normally aspirated car they run better with a set amount of back pressure in the system, i don't know the bore of the stock system but if you are getting stainless setup you only need to go a half inch over the standard bore, the back bos can be as big as you like, also if you take the cats off this will be less restrictive too, with a cat back stainless .5" over whats on and the induction kit you should see between 15-30bhp dependant on what system an kit you choose, with a decat you could gain another 10 on top of that, make sure you keep the cats for mot time though unless you know a tester that will let it go

theres a K&N Typhoon lit and an Apollo kit again by K&N, both are good kits and will give good gains, theres also the Apexi dual funnel Power Intake, this is regarded as one of the best filters for jap cars at the moment, all can be found on the net, watch out for copy Apexi filters on eBay, thers a few knocking about apparantly

*edit*

and if you decide to lower the car, the cheapest option is impreza suspension, it all swaps over and all that's needed is swap the impreza top mounts to forester top mounts on the rears

thanks for the advice, I was told that impreza induction kits wouldn't fit by several people? I thought it would but I wanted to talk to people that had already had a go or knew exactly what they were talking about, as for the exhaust I was just going to get a cat back kit in stainless, not too loud and exhaust but just abit better, I will have a look around now

• Like 1

i'm 99% certain that the induction kit from an impreza will fit, Dogma has a forrester and has had a couple of impreza's with the same EJ20 engine and i'm sure he will add that the intake system is the same, if i get chance i will pop round to his house and compare my impreza with his forrester, the only difference that i know of on the 2 engines is the size of turbo, it's my belief that if you got a td04 turbo of a uk turbo 2000 and the ecu and fitted them to the fozzy you would get the 208bhp the impreza has

I thought they would fit straight over, ive looked at a couple now but the impreza kits don't seem to have the length etc to reach around and through the wing on the forester? I am looking at getting a bonnet scoop, fitting it to my bonnet and making a custom shield underneat to direct cold air straight onto a filter which would be fitted in place of the air box, has anyone tried this?

ps mine is the non turbo version

also does anyone know where I could get the fitting diagram for a boot spoiler?

ive got plans for a spoiler, clear side indicators, im gonna spray the mirrors to match the body colour, change the headlight bulbs to zenon blue 100/90w bulbs and zenon blue fog bulbs too, need better headlights as its used a lot at night on country roads.

and maybe tint the rear windows ( I havnt decided yet ).

maybe change the indicator bulbs to leds and the brake lights too, I have also seen a conversion kit for the speedo etc to change it from glowing green to blue I was thinking of?

sorry, i can see from the avatar it's a non turbo !DOH!

now you have said about the length of pipe, there is a chance the forrester is a slightly different shape/size in the bay so the pipe may be longer BUT having said that, all you do is take the part off at the end of the MAF (leaving the MAF on) and fit the filter there, the rest can be the original parts, there's a thread on here somewhere regarding an impreza sport asking the same questions, i have put images on there to describe what i mean

with the bulbs, if you take the bulbs out of the clocks they have green rubber caps over normal T10/501 capless bulbs, i just pulled the rubber caps off and have bright lights at night, there are some bulb kits on eBay but it might be cheaper just to buy a load of LED replacments, white is the brightest but i'd be tempted to go with the colour of the car, or a contrast say red, if you were having other red parts

ah so the clock lights arnt new faces then? that's what the bloke reckons on eBay, definatley want blue illuminated clocks, I had a vw hire car while my fiesta was in for repairs, that had blue clocks and looked really nice,

Think Miggs has covered everything here nice job :) 

Just wanted to say I like the plans you have listed for the car. And interested on seeing how it all comes together.

• Like 1

well the impreza wheels were on the car when I bought it and the anthracite colour matches the silvery colour on the lower half of the car, just got another one of those for £26 which is immaculate for the spare, im gonna look for some standard 15" steels with all terrains on for winter use though.

interior im going to fit a better Stereo as the standard one and speakers cant handle the ska I listen to.

im just looking for an LED badge light for the front the same as I had on the fiesta.

just one question, will a 2001 spoiler which says its for a forester sf? fit my 2002?

Not sure about spoilers to be fair, if you want a set of standard forrester alloys for it I have a set in the garden, they all have Michelin tyres with very good tread, the faces need a good clean but in between all the spokes they are mint

• Like 1

Not sure about spoilers to be fair, if you want a set of standard forrester alloys for it I have a set in the garden, they all have Michelin tyres with very good tread, the faces need a good clean but in between all the spokes they are mint

hmm standard alloys? what size are they? the 15" ones im not bothered about alloys or steels they are only for winter use, how much would you want for the wheels?

there was an imacculate 51 plate non turbo awp forester at a local scrap yard with only 51000 miles on it a couple of weeks ago, I tried to buy the whole thing to put back on the road but apparently the old lady who took it in said it had to be scrapped as she didn't want anyone else having her car, she had had it from new, full Subaru history, it had failed its mot on the rear brake pipes, been quoted £100 to change them so it would pass and she said no, and bought a brand new forester with cash.

I couldn't believe it, I nearly cried.

ok, heres the pic of the face/style and the tread on another

20130710_102524_zpsfb843945.jpg

if you are interested i will get the actual depths for you

heres the tyre size

20130710_102623_zps1f81b085.jpg

and this is between the spokes, all wheels between spokes are mint, i think the wheels were polished face with lacquer but the lacquer has gone, as they are quite flat ish they souldn't be too hard to sand and polish or paint

20130710_102533_zps03cfe164.jpg

they aren't my wheels so after you have seen the pics if you are still interested i will ask the owner how much he wants for them

if you want some pics of spoiler let me now i'll take and measure the mount locations, saying that is your model the sf generation ? i'm not sure they went up to before the sg ? maybe someone has a newer model that can go the same and then you can compare if you are still lookimg for the answers :-)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

hello again been away and not had internet access, yep maybe interested in the wheels if they are still available??????? I have been told the sf spoiler will fit but cant get hold of one now so looking into a new spoiler of sorts now, got the indicators sorted and done some general cleaning of carpets etc but now have some slightly different plans, im going to get the turbo bonnet scoop and fit it to my no turbo, chop the whole out where the intercooler would be but make an alloy plate internal scoop which directs the cold air straight onto a k&n filter fitted onto where the original air box is at the mo and at the same time fitting a home made heat shield for the filter to save from the dreaded heat shrink? or whatever its called

so no need for an induction kit. I hope?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...