Legacy buying guide?

stranter

Hi,

I will soon be looking for a car and I have about £3.5k to spend.

I have been looking at the Legacy for a while.  I think I want a 3.0 Automatic (it has to be an auto).  I've got some questions:

1)  How reliable is the auto box?

2)  How reliable is the 4wd?

3)  Is it worth considering the 2.5 too or is 3.0 a much better engine?  (2.5 has head gasket issues?)

4)  Are there any known issues, such as electric windows fail after 80k miles or air-con tends to fail because of "x" part needing replacing?

5)  Do they rust?

6)  What's parts availability like?  Can you go to the local motor factors or is it dealer only?

7)  Can these be DIY serviced (oil, filters, gearbox and diff oil) easily with a jack, axle stands and a socket set?

8)  I want DAB and Bluetooth so I will need to change the headunit.  Is this easy to do?

9)  What's the real world MPG?

10)  The 3.0 is a chain-driven engine isn't it?  What about the 2.5?

Thanks very much in advance!

Stewart

• Like 1

I'm no car guru, so i'll advise the best as i can mate.

2006 I've got a 2.0R legacy and completely love it. Really nice to drive and the AWD is great in the winter and gives the car a nice solid/planted feeling when driving.

If i was to get another legacy, I'd almost certainly get a 3.0ltr rather than a 2.0 or a 2.5ltr. The 3ltr is a 6clyinder engine and yes it is chain driven. Both the 2ltr and 2.5ltr's are not chain driven. I believe the 3ltrs are about 240bhp compared to about 165ish in the 2.0R's. Certainly worth checking out the service history. Oh and the 3ltr post 2006 versions are £480 per year in tax. The pre 2006 versions are £285 afaik. 

I cant comment on the mpg of the 3ltr's but it will run best on Shell vpower or tesco momentum. in my 2.0 I tend to get around 35mpg the majority of the time.

With the legacy's you have to watch the rear wheel arches(there's a lip that tends to collect **** and rusts). Also if the exhaust is a twin exit, you will need to check the Y piece, as these tend to rot/rust - easiest solution is to have a stainless steel exhaust fitted cost ya about 400-500 quid. - Unless its been done already that is.

oh and I find legacy parts easily available, importcarparts and eBay tend to sell everything required. There's a seller on eBay called Impartsb46 who sells genuine subaru parts brand new and cheap.

Hope this helps. We have a couple of 3ltr members that I'm sure will be able to advise :)

I own a Legacy Spec B 3.0r. Auto it's a 2007 face lift ,with close to 60k, I've also owned most other legacy sand engine sizes, I find the 2.0 ok , 2.5 a little better, but heavy on juice, running cost no better than 3.0, the first 2 don't put a smile on my face, the early 3.0 slightly down on power compared to the face lift 2007 on, which also get SI DRIVE Gearbox ( 3 modes of black magic ) to answer your questions.

1 Autobox fantastic never had a problem

2 4wd the same

3 no buy a 3 later ,only pop and milk come in 2 litre and 2.5 litres as far as I'm concerned, running cost not much different, perfomance and torque are

4 heavy on front brakes

5 not yet

6 never had a problem

7 yes do all mine myself but I do work in garage

8 got sat nav head unit, and parrot kit which links to iPod and phone

9 I get 25 mpg combined (I don't hang around) can get 32 mpg on run sensible driving

10 chain on 3.0 not sure about 2.5

Great car you can see mine ( the actual car) on fifth gear, on you tube there is a link on here somewhere, I'm sure Gambit the tech wizard will find it for you, Good luck with your search, double you money and I'll consider selling you mine Lol

Responses in red.

1) How reliable is the auto box? Very reliable

2) How reliable is the 4wd? Very reliable

3) Is it worth considering the 2.5 too or is 3.0 a much better engine? (2.5 has head gasket issues?) 3.0 is by far the best engine, had both and 2.5 is much more economical, 3.0 has more grunt but very smooth to drive.

4) Are there any known issues, such as electric windows fail after 80k miles or air-con tends to fail because of "x" part needing replacing? I had to recharge the aircon (£30) on my 3.0 at 9 years old so not a deal breaker.

5) Do they rust? Not unless damage is left untreated, like any motor.

6) What's parts availability like? Can you go to the local motor factors or is it dealer only? Many parts are dealer only but the main service items are easily avialable from third parties. They do not however break down often.

7) Can these be DIY serviced (oil, filters, gearbox and diff oil) easily with a jack, axle stands and a socket set? I am not mechanically gifted but routine maintenance is simple to do. Lots of good videos are available on You Tube.

8) I want DAB and Bluetooth so I will need to change the headunit. Is this easy to do? For DAB yes unless you use a separate DAB radio and connect by wire. My 2.5 had Bluetooth for telephone installed.

9) What's the real world MPG? With the 3.0 I could get 35/36 on a careful long run but generally in the range 28-32. With the 2.5 I could get 42 on a careful long run but generally 32-36.

10) The 3.0 is a chain-driven engine isn't it? What about the 2.5? The 3.0 is chain driven but I believe the 2.5 is not, however I am not 100% sure.

Hope this helps.

ft

Just to add I have had BMW straight 6, Saab v6s and the Subaru H6 knocks them all for smoothness and power delivery

hi mate, I use a 3.0 h6, its 210 bhp with out over bosting about this model, its the best 6cly car ive had has a all round user, I use my car for work 6 days a week its got 164 tho on it & u wud think 64 how it drives I had a 528 e39 good car but the h6 is better I had a alfa 3.0 the h6 is better 2.9 ford h6 better, omega v6 h6 better.i was goin to get a 2.5 read a lot of forums all saying same like the ladds have all ready sed, the h6 will do or be wat ever u wany it to be I work with mine & also put some good sports cars to shame, read my content for resent stuff oh & my car is a 2002