Putting a double din HU in Satnav slot my2004 Forester 2.5XT

Hello all. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but I can't find a thread based on what I'm trying to do.

The Satnav is pretty much Useless in my2004 Forester 2.5XT; but in my opinion is in a far better location than the Head unit.

With that in mind, I'm only looking to do the following:

• replace existing Satnav screen with a Double DIn HU that will do music, handsfree, Bluetooth streaming and satnav all in one and have it plugging in to the original HU power and speaker looms.
  • replace existing head unit with a storage bucket
  • replace speakers all round (there's a funny oval speaker in the left rear quarter as well as the rear door speakers and front door and tweaters. I want to replace the lot).

My questions:

• would the loom converter needed to hook an aftermarket ISO Head Unit allow me to route the loom down from the satnav location to the existing wires?
  • any recommendations on a Head Unit to do all of the above? (second hand not a problem and don't want to spend more than £200 really)
  • are there any double din storage buckets that would look good with the titanium colour of the Forester dash?
  • any recommendations on speakers? (budget around £200 tops all in)

• 8 months later...

Hi Theador,

I've just bought a 2006 Forester and am also severely underwhelmed by the the standard kit and satnav. Did you manage to get anywhere with this? Would be interested to know whether you found a solution. 

Hi, I replaced the standard head unit with a double DIN Alpine CDEW235BT unit that has Parrot bt hands free and iPod/Phone usb slot built in. I also bought the separate looms that allow you to hook it up to the steering wheel controls. It works really well. I couldn't be bothered hacking around in the sat-nav area. I just mount my Garmin on it by suction cupping onto the screen lol.