STi or Whiteline Rear ARB mounts for a 21mm STi arb, or something else?

theador

As the title suggests. I want to fit a 21mm Impreza STi ARB I have to my 2004 Forester 2.5XT SG.

Question is; which mounts to use.

Impreza STi ones, which as far as I understand would need to be built up somehow to match the height of a Forester mount

Whiteline Forester ones, job done, but seem totally overpriced for what they are.

Or something else? I can't seem to find Forester STi mounts anywhere for sale.

How hard do you drive ? I know people who have mounted with standard foz mountings they let go eventually, Might take a while, I couldn't be bothered changing it when they did go, you could weld up the gap in them with some reinforcing plates ?, I bit the bullet and bought the foz kit from WL it's nigh on impossible to bend them,the o/s ones a bit of a pig to fit though

As stants suggests, you could strengthen standard foz brackets, you could also cut-n-shut sti & foz bracket & strengthen. if standard brackets are quite rusty then deffo want source better but if clean a decent bit of welding work will get them close to WL strength.

Yes, welding. Not my strong point. Might just use the standard ones for now then. I won't be driving it particularly hard at the moment. If they break I'll bite the bullet too lol. Did you use the link supports for the droplinks ?

Mr B I've got those Meyle HD end links to go on too.

Ah yeah very different to mine. ARB turned up; brand new, bargain! Looks like it'll fit. I think the slightly different shape is to accommodate the adjustable settings. I might just run it on standard setting until I replace the mounts etc.

A bit more welding for you Theador ...

rear bracket on the SG for the DL is single tab but it quite secure welds onto the lateral link, could be improved with more welds & a edge fin welded down onto lateral link on the nut side same as non nut side to stiffen it up & secure it further. easy job for any good welder & wouldn't cost mush to do both main arb maounts & DL mounts as not much materials needed & wouldn't take very long ...

pic below from subaru workshop manual of SG DL ...

forester_SG_rear_DL.jpg

Those prodrive arb's on eBay were well cheap, would of bought 2 or 3 off them if had spotted it ...

Oh boy, I was hoping that these would do the job:

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39_274_326_342&products_id=2508

...or maybe some updated lateral links might be a better route... Hmmm

A bit more welding for you Theador ...

rear bracket on the SG for the DL is single tab but it quite secure welds onto the lateral link, could be improved with more welds & a edge fin welded down onto lateral link on the nut side same as non nut side to stiffen it up & secure it further. easy job for any good welder & wouldn't cost mush to do both main arb maounts & DL mounts as not much materials needed & wouldn't take very long ...

pic below from subaru workshop manual of SG DL ...

forester_SG_rear_DL.jpg

Those prodrive arb's on ebay were well cheap, would of bought 2 or 3 off them if had spotted it ...

i would much prefer improving the standard mounts. I doubt you will have much issue on road driving with the prodrive arb & standard mounts but track could work them real hard. Proper job would be mild reinforcing them as saves hassle of a possible breakage plus keeps them more rigid so arb can do it's job well, would be cheap I expect as can't see it taking more than hour for good garage welder beef them up a bit.

I'll ask. By-the-way. Where are you based Mr B?

i would much prefer improving the standard mounts. I doubt you will have much issue on road driving with the prodrive arb & standard mounts but track could work them real hard. Proper job would be mild reinforcing them as saves hassle of a possible breakage plus keeps them more rigid so arb can do it's job well, would be cheap I expect as can't see it taking more than hour for good garage welder beef them up a bit.

s.devon, 14miles south of exeter. I would say the drop link mounts are not bad as is, the main arb mount bracket are probably first weak link & only really major problem if corroded, super easily modded with a plate welded on side & feeding off to feet that bolt to chassis much along the lines of the whiteline ones .

Ah ok, was hoping you were going to say Reading, or Streatley hahah.

Yes looking at them I see what you mean; would be a pretty straight forward weld. They're a completely useless looking design as standard!

s.devon, 14miles south of exeter. I would say the drop link mounts are not bad as is, the main arb mount bracket are probably first weak link & only really major problem if corroded, super easily modded with a plate welded on side & feeding off to feet that bolt to chassis much along the lines of the whiteline ones .