Need Advice on Purchasing a WRX

ExFiatFenatic

hi guys

I have driven Fiats ever since i was around 14 when i bought my First Punto to fully strip and restore,

Now i need a Break from the FIAT crowd and decided my Next car would be an Impreza WRX while My Fiat coupe 20v turbo is undergoing a full Rebuild.

I want a Blobeye or a Hawkeye 

an need to know what to look for

hopefully if i get a good one it will become my daily driver and the coupe will be a track car

thanks in advance for your help

cfreitas1991

• Like 1

welcome aboard fella, not a fan of fiat's but as a car in general they have some good points

as for imprezas, the 2001+ models suffer from the tax rate based on emissions and iirc that's around £450 a year for tax, classics and early bugs are normal tax rates, if unsure when you find a car get the reg and check here for the tax rate,

click vehicle enquiry on the left

click next

enter reg

then choose vehicle make i.e. subaru

click submit and it will tell you how much the tax is for that vehicle

as with all subies (petrol) check for the big end knock, the turbo models need warming and cooling properly before driven hard, if they are taken to the redline too often they can get the knock, if cheap oil has been used they can get the knock, if not serviced regular they can get the knock, diffs need the oil changing too at set intervals so check this has been done as well as gearbox oil, if the cambelts been done make sure it was done with all the pulleys and tensioners too, this is over £200 just for the parts so a big saving if it's done right, panels are wafer thin so the usual dings and stuff are expected more so on the subies

can't think of owt else right now but sure others will have stuff to post too

• Like 1

Its only post March 06 that you get hit with the mega £465 a year road tax

March 01 - March 06 your £280 a year for tax

The classics are £225 a year since they were before March 01, back in the good old days when things went by engine size only and not emissions

Most of the main points are covered in the guide posted up by gambit

• Like 1

The wife's car is a 52 plate and is based on emissions for the tax and the V6 golf I had was the same as the subie as it was borderline but the next year on the R32's were £450 a year as it was emissions based, I thought it was all cars from March 2001 were emission based tax? Is it just a certain amount?

The tax between March 01 and March 06 is based on emissions. But then in March 06 it got more strict. Hence how you can get a 55plate R32 that's 280 a year road tax but an 06 is 465 a year. It's the same with the scoobies. A 55plate hawkeye wrx is £280 a year but an 06 plate is £465 a year. It's a joke considering how bad the condition of the roads are. It's about time they spent some of the road tax money on actually looking after the roads and repairing them

To the OP.

Sorry for clogging up your thread here

You're sorry for what :D Miggs Jay and myself can make threads go off topic without even trying you was being helpful ;) This is not other Subaru forums :D 

ExFiatFenatic I think once you have one (Subaru)  life as you know it will change it's like when Neo took the red pill. everything you once believed is gone :D

i have been a die hard VW fan for as long as i can remember, i went on a subie rolling road day and the subie bite bit hard, very hard, the wife still has a golf but that's due to the miles she clocks up, it's a TDI so does good mpg's i however will never go back, all my future cars will be subies, so much fun it's unreal

i have been a die hard VW fan for as long as i can remember, i went on a subie rolling road day and the subie bite bit hard, very hard, the wife still has a golf but that's due to the miles she clocks up, it's a TDI so does good mpg's i however will never go back, all my future cars will be subies, so much fun it's unreal

snap mate........... basically had vw/vag cars all my life apart, had a 6n polo, 9n polo, mk2 gti 16v, mk3 vr6, mk4 gti tdi 150, mk4 v5 20v, bora tdi highline and a leon cupra r..... now its all scooby :D

a blobeye gx sport wagon, a forester 2.0 XT and now the blobeye wrx 300 B)

i have got a wee 10plate 5dr corsa sxi that i bought to replace the knackard 06plate astra the missus had and to share the mileage with the scooby. its cheap as chips to run, insure and road tax :D and suits her perfect for running about with the wee one

Yeh I had a mk2 16v in royal blue metallic that I promptly killed the engine, fitted another kr in, few thousand miles kills gearbox, after a few engines and boxes I got a fully rebuilt box with strengthened diff, and sourced an abf from a mk3,thats was 170 ponies and serious fun, then got the v6 itch so found a vr engine for 75 sheets, fitted that and the blew it up in less than 12 months, after 7 years and 7.5k in engines and boxes I called it quits and scrapped it after stripping it bare obviouy

I then found a mint 97 mk3 colour concept in jazz blue, it wasn't eBay mint it had 2 stone chips on the bonnet and a tiny scratch on one door that you couldn't find without polishing the car first, I modded that, big time, then sold it in less than 12 months and made £100 on what I spent out

Got a mk4 v6 4motion in jazz blue, full factory fit gps system, heated leather, every conceivable extra, it had gallardo rims but in 19" they made the handing site, I fitted audi s line rims, not the flat face ones that every other mk4 has, rolled the arches and wound the coil overs as far as they'd go, I went on a subie rolling road day, drove to my mates, went from his and back in his impreza, going home I floored the v6 and thought I'd lost the engine, 204bhp and v6 torque with an m3 soundtrack from the exhaust just didn't do it anymore, swapped that for my impreza wagon and a pug 106,sold the pug after a week, bought a maf for the subie and laughed every time I've driven it since, I never thought I'd find a car more fun than the mk2,now the subie wins that by a mile and a half

The wife has a jazz blue gttdi 130 and that keeps fuel and tax costs down so happy days all round

All those VW's and not even one Bug :(

I remember driving Fiat with the straight 5 from Volvo in it, can't remember the model except is was a nasty yellowy green colour. Still the car was a hoot though.

Good luck with the hunt for a scoob :)

Yeh I traveled all over in the vw's going to the shows, I wanted to get to places in less than a week and aircooled are not reliable in the slightest, plus I like warmth in winter and as yet I've not found a bug that can defrost it's own windscreen in less than an hour lol

I drove the Fiat coupe once, was a 220bhp model I think, 20v engine too, nippy little bugger

I came over from Ford side but have always respected the VW's I very nearly went for a VW Corrado VR6 and a Golf GTI :) I was most gutted that I didn't get the Corrado out of the two now though :(

Germany vw's are the best to get, so much rare news over there, we got a mk3 golf called the colour concept, they came with heated recaro leather as standard, there were 5 colours, 2 of which were colour concept only, and 500 cars in each colour, 250 3 door and 250 5 door, the trouble is they all came with the chappy 115bhp 8v engine, the second slowest gti in the fleet, golf vr6 was a 170bhp 2.8 engine, the rado vr got a 190bhp 2.9 engine, and there was a limited run of golf syncro which were a 4wd motor, in Germany I found a colour concept golf variant (estate) with a 2.9vr6 engine and syncro 4wd system, I have never in 15 years of going all over the country to vw shows seen one of them, ever

All those VW's and not even one Bug :(

I remember driving Fiat with the straight 5 from Volvo in it, can't remember the model except is was a nasty yellowy green colour. Still the car was a hoot though.

Good luck with the hunt for a scoob :)

The Fiat inline 5 is Fiat own and never a Volvo unit., the Fiat 5cylinder turbo produces 225bhp standard with more torque than a VXR

Tax should be the same as they have the same engine size and are the same year. insurance will be more but wouldn't think be much more. Or was it prices you wanted be about £154 I think for 6 month's. As for the insurance you can try our insurance with club discount had some great feedback with it. But I guess it all depends on NCD you have and what sort of place you live is it garaged that sort of !Removed! ;) 

• Like 1

The tax is the same on an 05 wrx and an 05 STI. For me, the insurance on the STI was £158 more expensive than my wrx 300. Bearing in mind that with mine having the PPP fitted that it will only be around 10bhp down on what a stock STI is power-wise. Also, for me to buy an STI the same age and mileage as my wrx300 iit would've cost me at least another 2k on top of what I paid. That's what made me chose mine over the STI. Plus the fact that I don't wanna go chasing big power. The td04 turbo is maxed out at 280-290bhp. You want more power you need to upgrade the turbo.