Please recommend a decent battery for my Legacy.

The time has come to replace the Battery on my 2005 Legacy Spec B.

The Battery ( a cheapo which was fitted when I bought the Legacy )is over 5 years old now and is struggling to hold it's charge, especially when left for days at a time. 

A couple of times now on early morning start ups the alarm has sounded and the engine just managed to turn over.

I have charged the Battery up a couple of times now and it still struggles to hold charge for more than a few days.

The time of year dictates that Head Lamps and Demisters are on for most journeys which doesn't help.

Have been looking at the Bosch S4024  and the Yuasa HSB005 batteries.

Thank You

Hi,

Just acquired my 2002 Subaru Outback AWD.   So cannot recommend a battery; but would be interested to find out what you eventually bought?   I always worry about the vehicle starting during the winter months.

I ended up purchasing a Yuasa HSB005 Battery for the Legacy.

Just waiting to fit it one dry day without hopefully losing the ECU settings etc.

Must decide whether to use Jump Leads or one of these EOBD Battery Memory savers.

Thanks

Yuasa & Banner are good & only 2 we really use due to good working life, warranty, fair price & minimal returns .

For memory we have lighter socket/eobd/crock-clip power supply from mains but for Battery swaps I mainly use a little cordless one that runs off a rechargeable pp3 Battery (can be had cheap or home made-2 crock clips with short run of cable and a pp3 Battery connector), super easy use & saves setting clocks and radio equipment .

Thanks Mr B.

Have seen EOBD memory savers for £19 which connect to another 12 Volt car Battery but don't fancy paying that much.

Will 9 volts be sufficient to save the ECU settings and trip records also please?.

I was originally thinking of using Jump Leads from another car Battery connected to the Battery leads on my Legacy.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting,

I've always had to reset the clocks and trips; radio code etc...  This method sounds much better!    Could someone explain how it's done when changing batteries over?

Also what does ECU and OEBD stand for  When not abbreviated ??

Thanks

Basically this is how I used a 9 Volt PP3 Battery and two test cables with crocodile clips to save the Radio, ECU and other codes whilst replacing the 12 Volt Battery.

This is a photo of the engine bay of a VW Transporter T4 and not some strangely modified Legacy. :P

Obviously you would locate the PP3 Battery out of the way so that when you disconnect the vehicle Battery clamps the test cables don't become unclipped.

post-1933-0-76135000-1448453175_thumb.jp

Basically this is how I used a 9 Volt PP3 battery and two test cables with crocodile clips to save the Radio, ECU and other codes whilst replacing the 12 Volt battery.

This is a photo of the engine bay of a VW Transporter T4 and not some strangely modified Legacy. :P

Obviously you would locate the PP3 battery out of the way so that when you disconnect the vehicle battery clamps the test cables don't become unclipped.

Brilliant, Thanks for that; it's exactly what I was looking for..   You can buy that set-up on eBay, but they're all from the USA ..  I'll make one up as you've done..   I like the look of that Heavy Duty Battery you have..  I'm guessing it's an old model HD Battery.   Cannot get them any longer.

Thanks for your help; appreciated!

Regards

Moss

• Like 1

^ see works fine & is real simple solution for anyone .

what I used was croc clips off some old scrap leads & a pp3 clip connector & soldered & sleeved them to cut lengths of wire, you can get quite nice pp3 plastic Battery box with switch (99p on ebay) which would make a safe neat & tidy home user one. I use it with rechargeable pp3 as we have a recharge station in workshop for AA's mainly but it can do couple of pp3's as use them in our elec testers. beats paying 10-20 £ for for portable retail solution that no better .

• Like 1

Ebay     item number:- 111569377612

99p including fast delivery.

Could be better if the cables were a little longer but works just fine.

Just ordered one; they come from China I think?  should have them by Tuesday / Wednesday next week.   Thanks for the help..

^ see works fine & is real simple solution for anyone .

what I used was croc clips off some old scrap leads & a pp3 clip connector & soldered & sleeved them to cut lengths of wire, you can get quite nice pp3 plastic battery box with switch (99p on ebay) which would make a safe neat & tidy home user one. I use it with rechargeable pp3 as we have a recharge station in workshop for AA's mainly but it can do couple of pp3's as use them in our elec testers. beats paying 10-20 £ for for portable retail solution that no better .

I saw the little clips and box holder for PP3 - 9V, Batteries on eBay.   may get one of them as well..