My first scooby

April808

Wotcha and welcome - I to am new to the Scooby world and let me tell you playing with that little knob brings big smiles :D

the one thing I would say is whilst you are getting used to it dont change modes, particularly when bimbling along, with your foot on the throttle as even though you havent depressed the pedal any further the car will accelerate - I went from 'I' to 'Sport# coming off an island in preparation for some twisties ahead and had quite the surprise

Ahh - think I may have been off the mark with my first post sorry - if you could say what model of Impreza you have got that may help confirm an explaination but I believe what you have (after a wider bit of reading) is a differential setting of high and low - this is an offroad 4x4 thing, common with lots of landrovers landcruisers etc.

"Low-ratio gearbox.

A gearbox suitable for normal driving is not ideal for tackling extreme conditions like steep hills or very soft ground when off-roading. Consequently off-road cars are often fitted with a second, lower-ratio gearbox which means better traction. Low ratio is normally engaged by a second lever next to the main gear lever and turns the wheels slower, reducing the risk of losing grip.

An increasingly popular alternative to a low-ratio gearbox (which adds considerable weight), is to use electronics to minimise wheelspin.

The Subaru Impreza hatch is unusual as it's a road car with a low-ratio gearbox. Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Shogun and Jeep Grand Cherokee all use a low-ration gearbox."

Parkers.co.uk.

Low diff. is to help you to get out of sticky situations ie. if stuck in the mud or to climb very very steep slopes by having a very low first gear option as well as distributing power evenly to all wheels.

the idea is to distribute torque evenly to all 4 wheels to achieve max grip on the road surface.

On normal driving conditions for the so call AWD, the torque transmitted is either front or rear wheel bias. Only when the differential gears is activated, then the torque is spread evenly.

Apparently it will deselect the Low Diff setting if / when you increase speed

Hope this helps

Thanks guys , I have the 1.5 impreza . And yes they say its underpowered , but it holds the road like glue and with all them speed cameras I really don't speed round like a boy racer. But I do go off road quite a bit so will test out that hi/low range . Quite like that it looks subdued and conservative to the passer by , but underneath it has lots of hidden toys . And insurance group 4 !! Bring on the snow

Sounds like its exactly fit for your purposes - if your going offroad take a camera with you and post a video - it would be interesting to see just what type of angle hill the scooby can get up

Sounds a plan ... And do any of you know where best to get a driver sun visor . The dealer quoted £86 !!! Did buy one off eBay but did not fit :(.

I agree with the video, sound's great to me. And when you say "Sun visor" do you mean like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sun-Visor-RH-Grey-Genuine-Subaru-92010AC080MS-/180688554947

I'm sure word would have spread by now. Want's you get a Scooby you sort of become a member of a secret organisation :D and with the help of forum's, I'm sure we would have heard by now :D You might ave noticed other Subaru driver's sometimes hold there hand up or flash there light's ;)

You might ave noticed other Subaru driver's sometimes hold there hand up or flash there light's ;)

Was chuffed when I experienced that - been a biker for years and it is something the two wheeled fraternity do so having a group of car owners do the same is great

I know when I 1st ever drove one after I had just bought one, I was coming out of the town driving back home went past 2 and they both waved I thought to myself I bet they think I'm they guy I have just bought it from. Took me a few weeks going past other driver's before I got the jist :D But I agree I do like it

I stopped riding bike's myself now after I had a biggish accident on my old YZ500. Thought about moving over to on road bike's. But with the cost's of Subaru's I'm afraid th bike's another Lotto winner now :D