need advice with my headlights

Well im new to the site and need some advice, im a mechanic to trade just to put thats out there lol so you can talk technical to me  and a detailer to hobby lol.

well ever since i bought my impreza blobeye last yearmy headlights are a state, very cloudy and marred, seems to be outside and inside the lenses, how easy is it to remove the lenses from the headlights to assess and clean and possibly prevent this from happening again.

cheers

Ross

It is possible but it's harder to get a good seal again. I had the same problem and ended up with a new front and rear after market set  :lol: What can I say I couldn't help myself ;) 

I'm cheap £225 when I got them but these are what I got. they now have an LED strip running under them to as daytime running lights but really it's side lights :D For some reason that I don't know why the Battery goes flat unless the side lights are on :) cheaper now though 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-03-05-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-ANGEL-EYES-BLACK-PAIR-/370689995528?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ASubaru&hash=item564ed87308

are you sure the fogging is inside, a lot of lenses can go funky on the outside, ford focus ones and hyundai coupe ones get really bad, if it's the outside then you can wet and dry with some 2000 grit paper, wet not dry, then as you are a detailer you will get a great finish with a machine polisher and some megs 105 then megs 205 and the correct pads for the compounds

you can heat them up in the oven to soften the glue then split, clean and reseal

preheat to 250 and go in 5 min increments. too little is no problem, too
long and you'll end up with a melted lens and you'll have to buy a new
light.

put it on something, baking try ar similar, just go slow when you're opening it and don't
use any jerking motions, it's very easy to crack the lens/housing/clips
especially when they're warm.

when resealing them i found either tiger seal or Loctite 5699 premium grey silicone, the Loctite stuff is superb for most jobs and i haven't yet found anything that comes close to doing the same job

make sure you wear oven mitts when handling the hot lights, sounds obvious but it's amazing how many people forget

also the classic impreza lights have some serious glue on them, if the bugeyes are the same you may get away with using the original sealant.

• Like 1

cheers miggs,

think ill try wet and dry then machine polish them but will use scholl stuff its a bit better on harder materials, i will obviously do before and after pictures and post them up for you too see.

thanks for the replys though nice to be part of a club who are all helpful

I take it you are doing the outside then? T cut do a glass polish in a tube like Meguiars scratch X, never used it but going off the liquid cutting agents it could be good, also I believe there is a headlight repair kit from turtle wax or similar, someone mentioned it a few months back but I was only half listening, they said it was good stuff and they used it on plastic lenses