Why the long clutch hard lines?

monogfx

May be obvious, but not to me;-) Doing a tidy of engine bay on sprint car while engine is out. Want to tidy clutch lines and wondered why there is sooo much hard line between master cylinder and flexi pipe, goes backwards and forwards a few times. Is there a dampener in there? Seems to be a bleed screw too. Ideally want to remove to declutter and a save a little weight too. ABS coming out too by the way. Car is 1998 WRX. Cheers Tim

• Like 1

After thinking about it i couldn't picture the route of the line being that complicated on my current 94 v1 jdm but what you said did ring a bell . I think it took a different route on my abs'd 97 v3 uk I'll dig out a couple of pics of the engineless bays [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

I can't see the line in the 97 bay (unless i had removed it)

3A8483A7-orig_zps4b4c8afe.jpg

But you can see it in the v1 bay without the abs ,its got a black heat shield on it and runs in the direction of the clutch slave cylinder

989EAF69-orig_zps27cc01c6.jpg

Does it follow a different route to yours in the 2nd pic ?

Thanks for the pics - very useful - I have the engine out on mine at the moment, doing heads, removing abs and tidying engine bay. Have marked your photo with the pipes I want to remove. Yours looks very clean! Much appreciated. I know the later Imprezas had a dampening valve in the system and our 2003 WRX has different set up too. GC8 is used for track and sprints so not a daily driver.

No probs, you'll have to get a few more vids up of this years racing i think I've only ever seen the 1 😉

Have you just removed the abs or fitted a earlier 94> master cylinder ?

While they didnt have the engines in i used a bit of machine cleaner and give em a jet wash ,cos it makes it easier to spot a leak ,stops me getting dirty hands when fetteling ....and helps with my scooby ocd lol

Hopefully will be more vids this year. ABS removed but master cylinder is not pre 94 - intend to run split front/rear with an adjustable bias valve. Unless the 94 cylinder is a better route. Must get fettling :smile: