2004 XT 2.0L Headlamp Washer Jet replacement

MattyBoy

Hi All

So one of my headlamp washers got knocked off and the base block cracked.

I have the replacement parts which is a good start.

Is there an easy way to swap out the washer nozzle base which is in the front bumper?

It's clear it needs to go on from below and be held in with a metal clip.

I really hope it's not a bumper off job...

Thanks for any advice.

Matty  

I'm not entirely sure but I'd hazard a guess that the bumper has to come off, unless you could take the arch liner off and reach through, I suspect you'd need arms like stretch Armstrong though,

I'll dig around the Web for you see what I can find

This is extracted from the workshop manual. If you wish to pm me with an email address, I can send you the manual pdf file.

13.Headlight Washer
A: REMOVAL
1) Disconnect the ground cable from the Battery.
2) Remove the front grille. <Ref. to EI-18, REMOVAL,
Front Grille.>
3) Remove the headlight. <Ref. to LI-13, REMOVAL,
Headlight Assembly.>
4) Draw out headlight washer hose.
5) Disconnect hose (A) from valve (B).
NOTE:
Washer fluid may drain from valve. Put a pan under
the valve, then disconnect valve from hose while
pinching the hose edge.

Followed above instructions and got grille and headlamp out no issue...

However... This does not give access to the base block of the headlamp washer.  I had to refit the lamp and grille as ran out of time but I will need to get the clips out on the top surface of the bumper I think and try and prise the bumper away to make a gap to put my hand through and try to unclip and remove the cracked block and then refit the new one.

I'll update the thread when I have had a go.

I would think this is a very regular breakage but little info available on the www

Matty :) 

Right so after removing grille, trim piece and headlamp I had to take all the push/pull clips out around the front bumper as far across as the inside edge of the opposite headlamp and around and under the wheel arch and take out the 2 bolts which attach the foglight to the front assembly.  the one accessed on the top via the foglight cowl is defo needed to be removed, the one "under" the foglight accessed through the wheel arch liner might only have been attached to the bumper anyway - not sure.

With all this done I was able to unclip the washer block, remove the hose from the one-way valve and draw the cracked block out from the top of the front subframe assembly.

Working in reverse I put the new block in and finally clicked the new nozzle assembly into place.  2 hours work but very good to have the thing sorted :)

Matty

• Like 1