Subaru dog guard for XV

IanR

Thinking of buying a standard Subaru dog guard for my XV, e-bay seem to have best price but still v expensive. Are these easily fitted, I note form the Subaru site that  their extortionate price of GBP240 includes fitting and wondered if any mods to the car were necessary?

I bought a cheapy from Halfords. Fixes on the rear headrests, and fills the gap between the roof and the top of the seats. Strong enough to restrain my Lab, with a lead tied to the guard. Can also be fixed to the front seats, and included extra mesh used to fill the gap between the front seats, if you want to give the pooch a bit more room.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/travel-accessories/pet-travel/halfords-mesh-headrest-dog-guard

We bought a fully enclosed half cage/half fibreglass dog cage, they do one for XV them at fits in the boot, saves the dog chewing the trim. Also it's crash tested. Made by Lintran, I'll send a photo over of it on Thursday when I get home if interested. 

Theyre about £250-300 but it is a full cage/box with doors. This is our second one, the other was 11yrs old and we still traded it in for £70.

• Like 1

We paid extra for ours in fairness as we had in inboard escape hatch built in, as the XV is a hatch back , in a rear end shunt you may not be able to open the boot to extract the dog. The cage we had has a removable panel behind the rear seats so you can fold the seats down and open the panel and get the dog out through the rear passenger doors.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 20/03/2016 at 8:20 PM, IanR said:

Thinking of buying a standard Subaru dog guard for my XV, e-bay seem to have best price but still v expensive. Are these easily fitted, I note form the Subaru site that  their extortionate price of GBP240 includes fitting and wondered if any mods to the car were necessary?

I'm getting one from the subaru dealer. When he quoted the £240 fitted I asked what the price would be not fitted and he told me 190.

It'll be fun to fit myself, and I guess save 50. It's  made for the car and I'm sure will come with instructions.

My wee Jack Russell is used to sitting in between the front seats and often sits up like a meerkat, but I'm  sure she'll be happy enough in the back as she can still put her paws up on the back seat and see where we're going. 

A cage sounds a good idea too. Never thought of that and the idea if an escape hatch, that's  real scooby thinking : - )

I bought and fitted the Subaru unit, my Subaru dealer gave me a discount and whilst it is still an expensive one it is excellent. The centre seat belt requires access through the guard, I would guess that some third party guards would struggle with this? Aberdeen Chris - if you haven't already fitted it don't worry. It comes with clear instructions and when fitted is very robust - it would stop any items from shooting forward in the event of an accident too - including a dog!

As an alternative, Orvis do a rear seat hammock, which attaches by the front and rear headrest supports, and stops the dog falling down to the floor. The latest ones have cut outs for seat belts, so you can attach the dog's harness to the seat belt - safer for dog and occupants. My Lab is now too big/lazy to jump up or me lift her up, but a smaller dog would get in easily. Does cost just over £100 for the current model. I had the old style for my spaniel, and never a problem, just not restrained.

On 21 September 2016 at 10:47 PM, Rizmo said:

A slightly cheaper version which we've got as well as the Lintran crate is the Ruffwear seat cover/hammock. We use this with a bit of vet bed on it for comfort. Can still be used with seat belts etc, very good and folds away quite small.

http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dirt-bag

Thanks Dogconker,

Dog is very small Jack Russell, and I've been training her to stay in the boot.

She actually seems to like it there and she can put her paws up on the back of the rear seats or the deep trim of the rear window and see all around.

She even stayed in on her big cushion when I went into the house and she was in the boot with the back door open.  Normally she would always jump out and follow me, so I think the is comfy there and feels secure.

I've  a guard comming this week and I may get a rubber inset for the floor which will make hoovering easier. already got the sun shades fitted in the back windows which keeps it cool on a hot day with the sunroof  cracked open.

Thanks, if she was bigger like a lab I  think your choice would be perfect, but she's  a short legged Jack Russell and has a good space in the boot, even with some bags of shopping lol

Chris20160827_101855.jpg