Hello guys and girls!

sneaky

Hey Guys and Girls!

I'm currently liking the looks of a subaru for my next car, but just wondering about a few things

First I'm looking for the 2006-2008 shape i think people call it the hawk eye?

do all the impreza have the same engine like the wrx and the sti?

Could you guys tell me the difference between the 2 models?

What is the "pro drive pack"?

I think that's about it for now :P

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!

Wotcha and welcome, :)

A nice car you have your eye on, she whom must be obeyed wanted a hatchback otherwise I would own one of those myself.

Both have a 2.5l turbo flat four engine with the subaru all wheel drive system. As standard the STI has more power, bigger brakes and a larger wheel hub which reduces the braking heat transfer to the wheel bearing avoiding risk of failure - this is predominatly only under track day or extended fast road use so dont worry if that doesnt apply to your style of driving.

The STI has a bigger intercooler and switchable engine map which allows you dial in more power should you fancy a blast down the twisties also DCCD which allows some tweaking of the differential drive, great in the snow.

The Prodive Pack - as I understand it this has varied slightly over the years dependant on the model sometimes including suspension changes - the basic changes are a hi flow fuel pump, stainless steel performance exhaust and an ECU remap sometimes a high flow air filter or Intercooler hose

PPP WRX STI 2006 - 07

http://www.subarupar...e_Pack_SACC2612

PPP WRX 2006 - 07

http://www.subarupar...e_Pack_SACC2631

Hi,

There is a big difference in the cars that you're presently looking at. The WRX is an incredibly practical everyday car with a nice bit of power. Correct me if I'm wrong but the hawkeye model has a 2.5litre engine on both the WRX and STI versions. This makes for a much more linear power band with the new engine. The difference in power is 225bhp in the WRX and 265bhp in the STI. The STI is a far more focused machine in every way though.

I have owned both (though older models) a WRX turbo 2000 and my current STI Prodrive. The difference in these two cars is huge and I wouldn't take the choice lightly without driving them both.

The prodrive pack is very basically a power boost which is available for both the WRX an the STI. Both raise the power ban by about 35bhp. This is done by a new exhaust, springs, fuel pump and ECU. This does though vary on the different models for more info on the pro drive packs see http://www.subarupartsstore.co.uk/search,b.html?category=108&q=Prodrive

The STI will cost you more to run as parts and servicing are a little more, it's also a little temperamental for every life as it needs to be warmed up and cooled down properly and that's not just after 'spirited' driving, where as the WRX is a more usable everyday car. Saying that would I personally swap back to a WRX? No, the rewards of the STI are far greater.

Overall I'd drive both cars and see which one would fit better into what you want. My advice would be to go for one with the prodrive pack though.

Any other questions please ask.

Hope this helps a bit.

Overall I'd drive both cars and see which one would fit better into what you want. My advice would be to go for one with the prodrive pack though.

Best approach - beware smiling is contagious

Hi welcome to the forum's.

And as for the Prodrive pack there is, if's and but's to this.

You can mod your car for less to achive better result's. But PPP will hold better value to your car if you choose to sell. I have a bug that is uk300 prodrive and a blob that is standard, apart from some new added part's. Does it feel better to drive?

No not at all they both make me smile but the prodrive is running more HP :D

So really it's upto you if you can I would say go for it get a prodrive. If your budget allow's, But as said if not, you can alway's go down the upgrade yourself with remaps bigger turbo's and so on. :)

Good luck with your choice :D

Hi Guys!

Just been reading through all your comments and i must say i love the friendly welcome :)

Still gunna be a tough decision WRX or a STI but I won't be getting one for a few more months.

Just wondering if there are any common faults with these engines?

Many Thanks once again!

Would say the most common of all horror problem's to listen for is big end bearing failure. You don't want that, but you will hear it when the engine is started

Don't all sound as bad as this but an idea :)

Other then that just use common sence like anyother car, check it has been serviced oil and filter change's that sort of thing ask to be taken for a test drive, or drive it yourself for clutch and gearbox feel. I alway's have a look under the front of the car as alot of people take them onto dirt track's and rally. You can tell if it has :)

Or you can look like a train spotter, or a health and safety officer and turn up with this printed off on a clipboard... And a pen! :)

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/impreza-checklist.html

Also someone said that on the sti you need to let it warm up and cool down before turning on/off. Why is this? Do you need to do the same for the wrx? Something else I heard you need to run them on super unleaded and not on regular?

all turbo cars (apart from small manufacturer turbos) need to have the oil warmed up for the bearings in the turbo and cooled down so the turbo does not cook the oil on the bearings.. a turbo timer will keep the car running for so many minutes in order for the oil to cool down enough... prolongs the life of the turbo

This is a long old aged argument I have a turbo timer on the Bugeye and do use it, some people will say it's a must for both WRX and STI. Now with old car when Turbo's was new it was a must warm up and cool down, as they never had there own way to cool down. New car's/turbo's on the other hand have water and oil cooler's, so no not really important but people will argue that. And myself will least let the timer sit for 30 second's after a steady drive. Now if you was hard driving track day that sort of driving, then yes would give it 10min's to cool down.

And I never boost or floor it until it has warmed up. Would say that's a must.

And fuel if you want the best for the car and to get max BHP yes you need the good stuff. I have ran it on the cheap fuel and it will still work and had no problem but you know when it's running on it never seem's to be as quick alittle bit jumpy in 1st gear low rev's. But you can get high octane fuel additive. Wich I carry ;) But again everyone will alway's tell you what they use like it's from the Bible :D

As above re bearings but also the heat from the engine and turbo can cause a cook off of the oil in the supply and retun pipes if it is just sat there, this cause a glazing in the pipes and as such cuts oil flow to and from the turbo which will cause the turbo to fail (lesson learnt 1998 with Nissan 200sx).

A few years ago you warmed an engine before really driving it because you needed to get oil up to temperature and around the engine, a modern day F1 car has tolerances that close it is effectively siezed until warm water is pumped around it for 10 mins or so to enble starting it then it will idle for a short time to ensure fully warm. A world super bike will be started for 10 mins on idle then shut off for 15 minutes to allow latent heat to disperse through the engine then started again allowed to warm fully before then taken out.

Modern fuel is manufactured to be as cost effective as possible - running it on your 95 ron std pump unleaded will make the car go but will not perform or be maintained to its opitmum, running super unleaded will give you the extra octane boost that the car is designed to run on and as such will have it running as efficiently as designed to be - but please note if you are looking for a fuel efficient solution neither the WRX or STI are where you should be looking 28 - 32 quoted in the press, my dash indicator has not seen above 19.5 although I have on occasion been wearing my diving boots when driving... :rolleyes:

Modern additives will give the octane boost and additional cleaning properties which modern 95 rons no longer have

When people are saying allowed to warm you are only talking 5 mins sat idle or equivalent driving in a reserved fashion, the WRX STI is ready to play within a mile or so - it reaches half way up the temp guage in that time and maintains a steady stae from there on in..... so far ;)

This is a question for Gambit. What fuel additive do you carry? We only have 95ron here in Ireland and although the car runs fine, I've run it on super from the north and its just a much smoother and faster car. Would like to look at using a decent additive.

This is a question for Gambit. What fuel additive do you carry? We only have 95ron here in Ireland and although the car runs fine, I've run it on super from the north and its just a much smoother and faster car. Would like to look at using a decent additive.

Hi mate I don't really use one brand, just aslong as it's named brand and good value for money with as much gain's that i can get, as I'm a tight !Removed! :D

This is what I have just bought.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e75b8f332

other then it's the best looking Impreza. Other then the 2 in my garage :) No sorry there just about the same as the bugeye and blobeye part from a 2.5ltr engine and look's

But would be happy buying one. Just remember tax and insurance is more on those as well

other then it's the best looking Impreza. Other then the 2 in my garage :) No sorry there just about the same as the bugeye and blobeye part from a 2.5ltr engine and look's

But would be happy buying one. Just remember tax and insurance is more on those as well

Yea only thing about the hawk eyes higher tax not bad on insurance though