replace shock absorber Help

Christian

Hi, i will have to change the rear left stock absorber on a forester from 1997 90 kw the basic one.

sorry posted this topic on the general forum also but maybe the Forester pros are more convinient

my problem is: on the stock absorber is a number that does not mach with any subaru numbers (20360FC200). i called subaru and acording to the chassis N° it should be 20360FC210…but even this i can not find. My question as i DO NOT want to buy the part at Subaru’s far to expensive does anyone know what this part is and how it looks and if i cant find the pice can i mount other absorbera instead?

i post an atachment of the one that is on now

thank you verry much for some help

Christian

IMG_6738.JPG

Besides Optimal brand you can also get SF forester non SLS shocks from KYB & Sachs, KYB also do springs.

Just remember you MUST do both left & right when changing from SLS to non SLS and also fit non sls springs as they different spring rating.

the Tokico SLS is only available from subaru & crazy money

The aftermarket shocks & springs (both sides) will cost less than £200 in parts if shop around ...

^ yes it would, no idea on quality of parts they supplying & price not that cheap once add shipping

I would of thought you could get Optimal or KYB easily in switzerland or something shipped from Germany but whatever works out simple & best availability for you I suppose ...

Good luck ...

Thank you i agree... quality ???

I will take KYB

other and last question: the front ones are classic shocks & springs nothing special about them for a SF5 Chassis

i might as well change all of them finally

Christian

^ front nothing special, you can reuse original springs if they in serviceable spec .

I would measure front ride height & check dampers and if seem ok they could be kept, I suppose depends on how you use the car & what sort of money you happy putting into it .

new shocks & springs on a 20year old car is never a bad thing :-)

KYB are pretty good but prices may not be great, Optimal are not bad for prices, I used a few of them now & not had any issue & also found damping to be good .