engine management

kennedy65

I have a 2009 impreza wrxS which has the engine management ,cruise control and traction control light

that keep comeing on and off. Taken car to local subaru garage and they put a new air flow meter on

but lights still comeing on and now they dont no what to do. After spending £500 does any body have any ideas.

I know this might sound silly. With the Engine off

1st wiggle the wires to the sensor/Airflow meter or unplug and plug them in again. And loosen your petrol cap and then tighten it up again tight then check to see if it still does's it.

If your still having the problem after that I would get someone who can run a diagnostics to pull the code's off the ECU, then clear them and see if they come back.

• 1 month later...

I would have a look at the Bluetooth ODM2 reader on eBay if you have a good enough phone or Tablet for the software

Think all in pay about £16. But don't get me wrong my mates £2000 bit of kit is better but you can clear codes with it

I posted some codes up some where on here ;)

• 4 months later...

If you have not tried the above it could be a clogged Banjo bolt that is a known pain in the !Removed! with this type of car or very bad oil flow to the turbo. But would also just check oil levels from looking others have had this code and oil level was to blame. :) 

• Like 2

you will need to do a code test there are hundreds of things that could show. just looked it up and it goes from brakes to exhaust system sensor. sensors are a pain in the !Removed!. :wacko: good luck.  

To be fair any 1 code I have found is linked to five or more faults it's picking the right one I just went with the most common fault that brings the code on that I could find. And I agree it is best to get it read by some top quality equipment. 

Oh and MD some people want to turn up to your garage meet up mate not sure if you have seen it :) 

Yeah I would love to have popped down and had a look at some of the projects you have going on but just to far at the minute with other things I have going on at this moment in time :( 

But hopefully get a good turn out :) 

• 10 months later...

I've got a WRX 2 litre turbo 2002 model. I had the yellow ems warning light coming on frequently over several months but no garage could diagnose the cause.  Diagnostoic codes said "misfire" but the car was running perfectly.  I found the most unlikely answer via another owners club site.  It was said to be a faulty switch, located on the side of the gearbox, which tells the ECU that the car is in neutral.  Why, on a manual gearbox would one need such a thing??  Anyway, I bought the part for £36 delivered, had it fitted in 10 minutes by my local garage and bingo!  No more yellow light.

Nobody more surprised than me (and my local garage) but I've done over 1,000 miles since and the problem has not recurred.

Advice to anyone trying this fix:  Buy the genuine Subaru part and make sure it's the right one for your car.  The 6-speed one is different from the 5-speed and the model year is important.

I hope this helps.

Don't want to alarm you but I got wrx sti 2008 same happened to mine was under warrenty the pistons had gone bearrings aswell we found gold fileings in the oil check your oil .goodluck the mode switch stayed on i also