hello and help me??

lucasgt

Hi guys,new to your site, after some technical help and advice, ive just finished rebuilding a 2000 subaru legacy gt, although the logbook doesnt say its imported i know it is (prodrive imported it from the factory in japan from new) making help and advice hard too get, mainly as its a twin turbo, two problems im have,first is the clutch is stuck, it was put on new on the first of jan this year and been sat outside since, is it possible for a new clutch too stick to a flywheel, if so is it possible too free it? And secondly once the engine runs and warms up it runs erratically, revs up and down then cuts out, also wobbles like its running on 3 cylinders, its an ej20 but has individual coil packs, am not a mechanic but its my 3rd legacy gt and 4th subaru so im gettin an understanding of what and how they work, any help is hugely appreciated

• Like 1

Hi I would like to 1st welcome you to the club.. So Welcome :)

And it sound's like you have bought a hand full of a car, these type intrest me as mine are UK car's. I'm boring you see :)

Can I ask who fitted the clutch ? I can't see it sticking to the flywheel unless it was abused massively strate after being fitted and even then I would say it was fitted wrong :(

And you say it rev's up and down is that just sat idling. If so my 1st guess would be a split intake pipe I could be wrong, like yourself I just play around with these for fun. And to get me out the way when the soap's are on :) so would start with your rubber air hoses all round. bit of soap water you should notice if it start's to suck it in over the hose/pipe use a spray bottle over them.

And is there any knocking from the engine at all ?

• Like 1

Hello, thanks for the kind welcome and a reply, ive tried too look for an air leak, i use leak sprays at work so tried that and couldnt find anything, would the leak have too be between the throttle and the engine intake or could it be anywhere between the air filter and intake?? The engine will start ok and run till it warms up and the revs drop, but the engine does have a bit of a wobble as it idles around 1000 rpm, and i did the clutch myself, my boy brought the car off eBay for 450 with big end failure, so took it on as a project, and changed the clutch while it was out, the existing one was the wrong size and had worn against the flywheel bolts, after much research i sourced the right one and installed it, may have too take the box off once i sort the engine, was hoping i wouldnt have too but dont think i can avoid it

• Like 1

Wotcha and welcome :)

Does sound like an interesting model you have there - given its a new clutch and the short amount of time it has been sat I would rule out it sticking as you describe, before stripping it down again are there linkages for the clutch that could be adjusted, given you replaced an incorrect one for the right model now.

As it is only when warm that the idle problem comes out it could be a sensor.

Would you be able to get any fault codes?

I agree with Jay get it on a diagnostics see what code's she pull's off the ECU.

But I would say it will be somthing maybe to do with the heat making, like Jay said a sensor some where play up. Or the rubber hose might be getting soft and making it sag or opening a split up, again sending more air in. Or worse maybe intake gasket has broke :( But I would start with getting some code's now after you have checked already with sprays.

And I'm sure if you fitted the clutch yourself will be fine I would say you will need to take it off again :( if it had the wrong one in from the start might have made more problem's then 1st thought I can't see why it would but you never know, but I would take a look at the flywheel see if it's shot :( or did you change that as well ?

Only other thing I could think of would be the gearbox it's self has gone. I know there not the best in the world :(

Sorry I could not be of anymore help then that

Keep us updated with any finding though. I'm interested :D

• Like 1

The engine check light isnt on, im not sure where the similarities end between the impreza and legacy? I did own a 2005 wrx estate (hatch) dumbest thing i ever did was get rid of it, im on my 3rd legacy gt, so much car for such a small amount, my 1995 manual one was the best car ive ever owned, cost me 700 and never went wrong, they have a self diagnostic and will give out fault codes, theres none present for the erratic idle, im wondering if its an injector, coil pack or plug as the engine wobbles most the time its running, trying to avoid paying for help as im over budget already, will remove the coil packs and check for a spark, not sure how too test an injector though, wish id done a single turbo conversion now, will keep my findings posted, thanks again for your help

I've never had a Legacy so can only go by what I see and know about from the Impreza.

And I've been telling people for week's that have been selling there Impreza's not to do it :D And now I seem to be right ;)(Feel's Smug)

I had an idle problem with another car no engine light at all, turned out it was the MAFS :( To be fair I even bit the bullet with that car paid someone to check it with smoke and diagnostic came back fine could not find a thing, really made me mad that :D So I found myself like you reading up and changed it and  it worked. But that was when the clutch was down and slowing to say aroundabout, so dout it will be that. I would have thought a coilpack or plug would have given a misfire that you might pick up on, so worth a look maybe. 

And I would not know how to check the Injector but have you changed the fuel filter just on the off chance ?

And maybe try some good strong injector cleaner. Don't think it would do any harm.

And thank's for keeping us all updated appreciated :D

I will try some injector cleaner, but as,im unable too move the car it may take a while too have an effect, it may be the mafs, is there any way too check them? Will also study the cars history, it was doing this before i started too work on it and is mentioned in the service history that came with it, so its either been an intermittant fault or the previous owner just put up with it, the legacy is a good all rounder, 280bhp standard, plenty of kit in the spec, large, good cruiser, big boot, mines got bilstein suspension aswel, but not as fun as the impreza, is a point between 4000 and 4600 rpm where the primary turbo drops out and they both cut in again, which when booting it is a pain, but i had too get rid of the impreza as it was too small, the legacy was a good excuse too get another subaru, was very happy when i found out they did a twin turbo, hope i can get it sorted, is a rare one as its uk registered and driven around and used from 2000 to 2003 by pro drive execs and the subaru rally team

I was told never to try clean it, so I just bought a 2nd hand one and cleaned the 1st one anyway and it was fine with Carb cleaner ;)

But still did the same thing so think it had fried before

And it does sound like it will be a nice car like you said rare. And I don't know many people who can say it was a pro drive execs and the subaru rally team car :D

So... Back at the car, starts ok, runs for a few mins, then once its warm the promlem occurs, unplug mafs and it dies, unplug the throttle sensor and it revs then dies, O2 sensor has little effect, but once the engine is warm it wont run for long before it dies,is the an engine temp sensor, i know theres one for the water temp gauge but not sure if its the only one, also can the engine temp somehow effect the idle revs??

Here is what should happen if your Temp sensor has packed in 

MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) illumination will always occur Vehicle may be hard to start May blow a lot of black smoke and run extremely rich Engine may want to die or backfire in tailpipe Engine may run lean and increased Nox emissions may be apparent (Requires gas analyzer) Cooling fans may run all the time when they shouldn't be, or not at all when they should be

Hope that help's it's from a code reading site for Subaru's 

That link has helped me a lot, its refreshing too have genuine help and not people lecturing me on buying an import :) embarassingly i dont know where the engine temp sensor is, even though ive had the engine out and rebuilt it,ha, thanks again

• Like 1

I'm happy to help when I can mate. Helping other's let's me learn as well, that's how I see it :)

And nothing get's my back up more then people moaning about other's car's. If its a mod, sticker's, engine choice, the list goes on :D

And I have never owned a legacy.. So I looked for this hope this may help some what :D

That is helpful as from memory im sure there is a 2 pin thermistor on the front of the engine and the 3 wire one the back, i would have guessed it was the front one, are there many people on here with legacy gts? Theres only 3 in my town, one i sold to my mechanic, one i sold too his friend and mine, bit of a sleeper when they work ;)

its refreshing too have genuine help and not people lecturing me on buying an import :)

A lot of models / cars / bikes would not have come to this country in the first place had it not been demand from grey imports and as they are now not bringing in the new Impreza I see a flourishing grey market opportunity

"embarassingly i dont know where the engine temp sensor is, even though ive had the engine out and rebuilt it,ha"

- its not still sat on your work bench is it next to the one or two other bolts that I always find are left over after a rebuild?? :D