Binding grabbing while turning

Jacob

99 impreza turning left or right forward or reverse only when pushing the gas pedal feels like it's grabbing or binding up when I turn without pushing the gas pedal it doesn't do it and there's no clicking from a cv joint I replaced the bad tie rod ends breaks r good and runs great going straight idk what it could be any help would be greatly appreciated

There should, in the engine bay fuse box be a spare slot "FWD" or similar - if you insert a fuse (light may come up on dashboard marked FWD) in that slot, doesn't matter what fuse rating, that converts the car to front wheel drive only, and the problem goes away, that may indicate what's known as torque bind. May be worth trying.

• Like 1

Probably means the tranny has torque bind where one of the clutches is not releasing. Solenoid problem, may be improved by doing drain and fills of the transmission fluid, three times over the space of about a week with drives inbetween changes. I'd try that first. If no improvement, either live with it; keep it 2wd; or get someone experienced in autos to have a look. Root cause is likely history of running mis-matched tyres.

So I have recently did what you suggested and put a fuse in to disengage the all-wheel-drive the problem went away since then I had to pull the engine and do head gaskets put the engine all back together and back in the car now cylinders 1 & 3 are not firing correctly or at all not sure what could cause this unless the timing belt jumped if any suggestions on something I may be overlooking please reply

8 hours ago, Jacob said:

So I have recently did what you suggested and put a fuse in to disengage the all-wheel-drive the problem went away since then I had to pull the engine and do head gaskets put the engine all back together and back in the car now cylinders 1 & 3 are not firing correctly or at all not sure what could cause this unless the timing belt jumped if any suggestions on something I may be overlooking please reply

Simplest thing would be to make sure the coil packs are on the right way around since cylinders 1&3 are on the same side... doubt it's that simple but you never know!