Help!!

a few weeks ago, the issue i had was sometimes if i let the car idle for a while then pull away i
get blue smoke and the smell of burning oil, which quickly clears.

in the last week or so ive been told that if your behind me you can smell
some sort of burning smell, especially on acceleration, even people who
come up the road a minute later can tell ive driven up.

any ideas? should i stop driving it?

Thanks

H Azz85, not much detail about the car, mileage service history etc but...

I would say that is the turbo bearing is going / gone, so will need a rebuild

also swap out the oil supply and return lines if you do not know the history of the car as turbo's can fail due to oil starvation as over time if the engine is not cooled sufficiently oil can boil off in the lines going solid / crystallizing and reducing the flow to the bearing

less likely is oil coming past the valve seats or if your overall performance has dropped possibly piston rings due to lack of seal and oil being forced past the piston rings - check compression but with piston rings going the engine could start to sound rough

I agree with Jay sound's like a turbo fault have you lost any power at all ?

You have either killed or nearly killed it or I will end with some better news. Might be an air leak etc... which is where the oil might also be coming from, if there has been a blowout pressure goes out oil comes in causeing smoke and loss of acceleration. So would check your airline's too

have to let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the advice, already got an sti turbo to go on so im hoping it is just that. are oil lines easy to replace? Havent noticed any loss in power really, engine sounds ok. it just the occasional smoke and smell. its a 2004 wrx ppp, 90,000 miles with full service history,

Havent swapped on a scooby myself yet, as you change the turbo follow the lines back - getting the replacement parts before hand will give you an idea of exactly how much you are dealing with length wise.

Pictures online for the braided hose kit show only a small pipe with banjo bolts so if you can get to the turbo you shouldnt have a problem

And as Jay has said not changed one myself yet. I had a full rebuild done on one of my car's, and had it all done at the same time

And again like jay said follow it back shouldn't go wrong really :D

Have to let us know how you get on mate be nice to hear your back on the road oil smell free :D

• 2 weeks later...