Forester Prop Shaft

cordwood

The centre bearing on my Forester's prop shaft needs replacing (sounds like a ball-race full of grit!).  However, I've been told that I have to buy a complete prop-shaft assembly i.e. front and rear shafts joined by the center bearing ... the price well in excess of £1000 ($1500)!!!

This sounds like a very strange design feature to say the least!  I've spoken to a Subaru dealer but to little effect.  Has anyone come across the problem and is there a practical work-around to be able to just fix the bearing?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated indeed!

Cordwood

Hi - welcome to the forum.

As it is a bearing you may be able to get it rebuilt if you can find someone to take the job on.

Considering the price of the Subaru part I would look to replace it with a solid drive shaft and remove the bearing altogether, even if it was made bespoke for you by a local firm it would probably be cheaper as a carbon fibre version for the impreza comes in at $1000 - given that an aluminium one should be less.

Hi Jay762

Very many thanks for your reply, that's much food for thought!!!  As a result I believe I may have found a firm to help with the work-around you suggest.

I won't be able to get on the ramp till next week to take measurements etc. but I'll post the result when I can.

Many thanks once again - what a great forum, wish I'd found it sooner!!

Cordwood

• 4 weeks later...

Long wait I think you will be your Dentists best friend by the time it gets here :)

Well hope you get it sorted soon and all being well be here before the 6 weeks point. So at least you can get some picture's posted soon :D

• 3 months later...

i am going second hand. i am getting prop, drive shaft and diff for £150 and £50 p&p. lets pray it is ok as can't see her letting me hav a new one car cost £900. what year is yours as I hav been looking round and it looks as if the forester has a weak prop and diff at the back hav loads of problems :( .

no mate, i had Dogma's classic sport on the drive for breaking, missus moaned as i had about 4 cars worth of part all over the garden and side of the house so got rid of it all

• Like 1

prop is different so think diff is also. I am still trying to work on problem. I hav not got parts yet just found them on eBay. I am thinking of only changing prop at mo as it's all about room and money as I hav most of the impreza here. but as I said it's always the parts you don't hav that goes wrong. I hav put a new thread up to explain what is going on and ask for advise so not to take over this one ;) .