Is my BOV on its way out?

Clinton

Hi guys,

I have a Forge dump valve and it sometimes doesnt 'swoosh' lol cant think of any other way to say it!

It seems to not work when accelerating from a high gear, so i would be in 3rd or 4th cruising, then if i accelerate (nothing excessive) but on boost then when i let off it doesnt do anything?

Does it sound like its on its way out or quite common?

Thanks

Clinton

Hi mate, my Forge one did this a while back, I got some silicone lubricant or WD40 will do the trick and sprayed it on the dumpvalve area near to the butterfly (moving part) as it was sticking during operation. Gave my scoob a turbo lag effect.

• Like 1

Hi mate, my Forge one did this a while back, I got some silicone lubricant or WD40 will do the trick and sprayed it on the dumpvalve area near to the butterfly (moving part) as it was sticking during operation. Gave my scoob a Turbo lag effect.

Did you have to take the bov valve off and take it apart to lube it up? If so fairly easy for a non mechanically minded individual or potential f**ked bov lol?

Def sounds like the same issue, i get that big turbo lag feel aswell, and the bov when it does go off is really delayed.

Thanks

Clinton

someone else has posted a thread stating similar issues to yourself, http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/2223-rpm-and-boost/ ive given a walkthrough in there with things to do, as for the taking it apart, I just made sure it was fully lubed with WD, didn't bother taking it apart as the spring wasn't collapsed it was just sticking wide open. Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

someone else has posted a thread stating similar issues to yourself, http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/2223-rpm-and-boost/ ive given a walkthrough in there with things to do, as for the taking it apart, I just made sure it was fully lubed with WD, didn't bother taking it apart as the spring wasn't collapsed it was just sticking wide open. Hope this helps :)

Brilliant thanks, i have just taken it off as per your directions and given it a spray. I will find out 2mw if its made much difference! I was scared not to overspray, i hope i put enough in, & it ran down my hand as i was pressing the piston, is this a bad thing as its come back out?

As my scooby is my daily driver, i dont tend to drive it hard & try to avoid boosting much, would this cause the bov to stick due to not being used much or hard? Do i need to thrash my car more lol?

Clinton

no I don't think you did put too much on it :), As for the theory of not giving it the beans that doesn't count either, mine used to get regular right peg and mine still did it.  let me know if it doesn't improve it.

no I don't think you did put too much on it :), As for the theory of not giving it the beans that doesn't count either, mine used to get regular right peg and mine still did it.  let me know if it doesn't improve it.

Hi mate,

Unfortunately it hasnt fixed the problem. Would it be worth trying to dismantle the bov, is this quite an easy task?

Thanks

Clinton

Before you do, have you got one that has the adjustable screw for the spring I'm guessing you don't know or you haven't. But I would just check that 1st. I've never taken one to bit's so not sure if it's easy I would saying getting it put back together is the worst part. If it even come's apart .

Before you do, have you got one that has the adjustable screw for the spring I'm guessing you don't know or you haven't. But I would just check that 1st. I've never taken one to bit's so not sure if it's easy I would saying getting it put back together is the worst part. If it even come's apart .

Yea i have read somewhere that you need to be careful when removing the last bolt as its spring loaded. I didnt realise there was a difference and that some dont have them. Either way im prob not the best person to pull one apart lol.

have you exhausted the other ideas first, like split pipes etc, as im pretty sure a BOV is a big issue to take apart ?.

No i havent looked at other potential issues that could be causing it to happen. I might get it checked over by a garage, when i was driving it yesterday the sound of the turbo completely changed, was really weird, it sounded like i had a really big uprated turbo if that makes sense, like when a supra has a big single turbo. Sounded really nice actually lol but a concern that its never sounded like that before!

• Like 2

You sound just like me if I hear anything new with my car :D Not sure what would have coursed that maybe air hitting the turbo if it's not all getting away. 

Lol i know its like im paranoid every time i go out in it!

• Like 1