Impreza uk 2000 idle problem

Jamie_uk

Hi I finally got a turbo and instantly ran into a problem. As in other posts it runs completely fine but when stopping at junctions etc the idle speed drops from 900-700/800 and then randomly to 500 or 0 usually picks itself back up but it wants to stall. It doesn't do it starting when cold only once up to temp and more so if driven. 

Needs a service but the air filter is pretty clean, goin to clean the throttle body and icv as suggested in most threads but the strange thing is if I disconnect the hose that goes to the underside of the intake pipe(presuming crank case breather) the idle issues stop or atleast calm down

all tips or suggestions appreciated 

thanks 

No I haven't, I read a thread here about plugging the wires together and timing the light and will hopefully be trying that tomorrow. Would have thought if there was a problem the Ecu knew about it would bring up a light on the dash or something.

just got used to tinkering with my rx hatch, didn't expect everything to be jammed in under the bonnet as much as this it's like an endless trail of hoses lol only driven it twice and I love it, after this issue is sorted a service and some tlc on the underside and body it will be my soul mate. Colin McRae rally PS1 :D wanted one of these since I was a kid and finally got one, will get some pics up too 

Cleaned idle control valve, car didn't appreciate that did reset but didn't fix the issue. Cleaning maf sensor has as good as cured it, slightly lumpy idle but no more dropping revs or cutting out etc will get a new one next month. 

Cheers for the help

It took me 3-4 different intake/electrical cleaners to clean the maf of a small Nissan to get it functioning properly. You want to make sure you clean it properly and no residue on there. I removed it several times to clean and used different methods so can't be 100% but it seems wynns petrol egr cleaner sorted it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Contact cleaner and wyns air intake cleaner has 99% solved it. Kinda guessing the rumble on idle is just the engine and exhaust as normal? Don't have much to go on as how it should feel since it did it from getting it. 

How did the egr cleaner fair against the maf? Damn strong stuff that

I used several intake cleaners which didn't work but the egr cleaner worked on the maf (Nissan) . I think shining a torch at it a lot at night time and excessive swearing also helped ;)

• Like 1

Found this on YouTube,

On a warm engine .

Did you get some black smoke out the exhaust every now and then with the dirty maf? If it was running rich, probably got a load of soot in places.
If you are sure it's running alright, maybe just flooring it with a warmed engine on the motorway would clean it out.
Any excuse ey :)

First thing it has was a drive from Manchester to durham thought tha would have cleaned it out, tbh I never noticed any black smoke it just endlessly dropped down and back up when stopped or slowing at junctions. It was likely running rich aswell because removing a breather pipe improved it before cleaning maf and idc. Going to do a service and underseal. 

Also got a loud sucking/whistle noise on boost which I read could be vacuum pipes so I'll change them they are original and aren't the tightest in places. 

Top that off with an irritating rubbing grinding noise when turning right which is looking like the brake dust shields that are rusted to hell and very close to the discs 

followed by trying to sell my rx hatch

then some much needed love to the body/paint work and it will be a little Beauty 

If your getting excessive whistling and not just spool noise . Have you tried checking the pipework from air box to turbo and from turbo to throttle body ,for splits and leaks ?

As any air leak, from air filter to inlet manifold will give a whistle on boost as boost escapes . Or hunting idle as unmetered air is sucked into the engine [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's on the list of things to do mate thanks, having no experience of these cars or any turbo petrol doesn't help 

going to change the blow off valve gasket that looks like it's got a bit missing even without removing it. 

Idle is very calm now tbh before it would idle better when it actually got extra unmetered air coming in. Almost every pipe looks like it's seen better days tbf looking to change all of them once I sell my hatch