Dust cap removal.

tezmil1

Hi, I have fitted some of those shiny metal dust caps on my tyre valves and they seem to have stuck on to the point that i can't get em off, after trying to turn them with pliers the valve started turning so I stopped. anyone got any tips to remove them as I don't want to damage the valves, cheers, Terry.

Hi. Your shiny metal caps will be a different metal to your valves so will of corroded together. Squirt them with WD40 a couple of times and try again. The metal of the threads on the valve will go down quite a bit into the rubber so maybe squeeze it with cloth between the teeth on the pliers while you turn the valve cap. Just a  question though. I had those type of caps many moons ago and they had tiny locking allen key screws on them...

Thanks for your reply, I have squirted them with wd40 I will do it again a couple more times. you are right they are a different metal, when i get them off i don't think I will bother with them any more, Thanks, Terry

just a hint for you buddy i used to see this all of the time if you ever use a metal dust cap put a bit of multi purpose grease on the thread and they wont stick had mine on for over a year the safety ones from Halfords and they have never seized on yet lol