Turbocharger rebuild advice

Hello all

I have removed the turbo charger from my fathers 2003 Forester XT (TF035 HM 49135-04500) in an attempt to troubleshoot a performance issue

On inspection there is significant play in the shaft in all directions. I have no previous experience with turbo charged engines

Is anyone able to offer any recommendations for the next steps?

I have attempted to source a replacement CHRA but suppliers have replied stating that a suitable replacement is not available. I have also had separate advice stating that balancing would be required after a new CHRA was installed anyway

Do any particular turbo repair companies stand out for their service and value for money based on people's experience?

Thanks in advance

Steven

What we're the symptoms that you had and what turbo is fitted to the foz ?

As if its a tdo4 they rarely fail and are readily available second hand , due to being upgraded on most modified impreza wrx's. Also the tdo4's are a journal base core which require a film of oil to take up the play on the shaft , so if it hasn't been run for a while will have "side to side" play .

Afaik most new or refurbished turbo cores come pre balanced and can just be fitted to the old turbos compressor housings 

Hi there - thanks for your reply

It is a TF035 HM turbo (#49135-04500). This turbo seems to be quite widely used (Mistubishi L200's, Ford Transit?) but the CHRA's are not available for this specific part number (04500) from the suppliers I have contacted

The car was performing as if there was no turbo installed. I struggled to get past 60mph on a test drive

I could not see any issues with any of the vacuum hoses or intake pipework with everything connected. The exhaust had a small leak at the union from the 2nd (of 2 cats) to the centre exhaust section

According to the dipstick there is no oil in the sump so I am confident this has lead to the turbo failure (at 140k miles). Identifying why there is no oil is another issue for attention

So I removed the turbo to inspect the turbine and pipework in closer detail

The control system opens and closes as I believe it should but the turbine has significant play

Does anyone know of a supplier of CHRA's for this unit? Or can someone recommend a turbo repair company from good experience?

Thanks again

Steven

I'd imagine that if theres no external oil leaks the tmic would have a fair amount of oil in and spark plugs would show it's been burning oil  . Have you done a compression and leak down test to rule out a engine issue ?

Actuator or boost solenoid faut could also cause a lack of boost /power too.

Although I've always said keep clear of cheap Chinese turbos ,i have bought a few spares from kinigwa through eBay and haven't had any issuse with quality. 

I know a few that have used essex turbos or owen developments with good results but thats been for performance applications. Otherwise unfortunately, other than suggesting finding a second hand oe replacement i can't help .