Wrx sti Oil leaks

Turnerdv10

Could be avcs line leaks at the front of the engine , have a look at the banjo bolts that connect the lines to the block .

Could also be cam or crank oil seals , remove the plastic cambelt covers and have a look .

If you've got oil inside the cambelt covers , try and get it sorted sooner rather than later.  As it might affect the belt ,tensioner and idler pulleys and cause the belt to fail or slip a tooth .

It might just be oil leaking from elsewhere dripping down the block to make it look like the sump is leaking .

• 5 weeks later...

The oil pump was loose and was incorrectly fitted by garage or previous owner . Now it’s still leaking from above the centre engine cradle just below power steering rack . I’m hoping it’s the sump . What’s the quickest way to change the sump gasket as mine hasn’t got the exhaust manifold round it and looks straight forward . Do I still have to remove the subframe to be able to jack it up to get to the rear bolts on the sump ??

Unfortunately i haven't had to remove a sump while the engines in situ , so can't really be much help. I think it can be done in situ , maybe mr b can help with that though  ?

I can tell you that subaru only use liquid gasket sealer (threebond) to seal the sump on from the factory . I tend to use a group n cork sump gasket , although some say the only reason you should use those is if you think the sump will need to be removed again .

Mine has done nearly 40 k without leaking and thought I'd mention it , as if you're gonna try to fix it in situ it might be difficult to get everything oil free (for the sealant to take) and a neat bead of sealant to stay in place while refitting .

Id definitely suggest you give the camshaft oil and avcs seals on that side  a good check to make sure they're not leaking , as if they've done the oil pump (wrong) they might have done the other seals at the same time , with the same shoddy workmanship. 

Sump all done . I found the other leak . 3 bolts had been cross threaded (I wondered why 3 were they easy to undo unfort didn’t realise till I put new sump on with something stronger than 1215 . So had to improvise but worked . I didn’t use the gasket in it in the end . My thoughts it left the factory without so doesn’t need it so going to put this one up for sale . Also when doing the timing belt it was out as car runs a lot better now . Cheers for all ya help . Onto next prob soon front and rear shocks knocking 

• Like 1