FYI - Living with Gen5 (2015+) Outback Diesel

Flyball

I spent a long time surfing for information on the latest Outback before buying mine 6 months ago (2yrs old, 24K miles, diesel CVT) so if it helps anyone save some time......

Full disclaimer - I am a typical Subaru fan. From a WRX wagon + Prodrive in '03 (100K of fun for a younger me and it was still going like the clappers when sold), a high-mileage '09 Legacy gen IV diesel (still running and handling well at 180K) to the current Outback. Don't know why I can't escape (I do try others each time I change) - they're never flash, usually slightly behind their time and not cheap. They have, however, never broken down on me (bits have gone wrong, but they always kept running), all handle well, AWD goes anywhere anywhen (for a road car and then some) and I just like the "well engineered" approach they seem to have. However, I will try to be factual (except where stuff if obviously subjective opinion).

• Best mpg = 47mpg (about 40 miles of clearish country A roads, 60MPH typical speed, fairly steady).
  • Around town mpg = 40mpg (about 50 miles of not too congested or too many junctions, between 30 and 40mph of non-aggressive but non-tortoise-mode driving).
  • Worst mpg = 37mpg (Bucks to Cornwall, "optimistic" motorway speeds (M4, M5) + 60mph A-roads, 4 adults, full boot, two kayaks on roof, howling gales and driving rain, many hills in Cornwall).
  • Current mpg = 41mpg (mixed town, A road and motorway, 3K miles)
  • All mpg as shown by trip computer, but it seems to correlate quite well with at-pump refills. Overall, I'm quite happy with it.
  • IMO - well mannered around town, comfortable on motorways, but most at home on decent country A roads (me too as it happens).

For those debating between diesel and petrol - I tried both and the only reason for the petrol (IMO) would have been eco concerns. Personally, I try and avoid city driving, do >15K p.a. and prefer the pulling characteristic of the diesel. Main concern would be the residuals, but I intend running it for a long time (as my other scoobies) so that doesn't worry me too much. The DPF is probably my biggest doubt, but only time will tell. However, the petrol was just as competent and has the bonus of 200Kg extra towing capacity I believe (+ you  can't buy diesels new any more).

I took some persuading to go automatic - but I'm very happy with the choice now. I thought I'd miss the "fun" of a good gear change, but I don't and in traffic, or even on slower roads, the CVT is, as Ron Weasley might say, "bl---y brilliant". Again, I remain to be convinced of it's durability, but I see no reason to think it will be worse than clutches etc., and I really do prefer it's operation to the VW (and other's) DSG boxes I tried. I do use the paddles, but mostly to engine-brake going down hills - they work really well for that. The whole interaction of the paddles with normal Drive mode has been well thought out, with the box going (smoothly) back to auto once you start to drive again. The changes during hard acceleration (CVT pretends to go through gears) are a good compromise between feel and purist-efficiency, but in more gradual changes of speed, there is no shifting and the whole thing is smooth. Again, I was dubious about this whole thing, but it turns out I love it. I've done some spirited solo driving (OK, it's not a race car, but you can still have a bit of fun in it), as well as some serious people- and load-lugging and all were enjoyable from a driver's point of view (IMO).

Downsides so far are:

• A gearbox sensor went kaput sending the dashboard into Xmas-tree mode (sensors might be a Subaru weakness IMO - one has gone on all of mine at some point - only 3 in 15 years but quite pricey), but the car still drove OK. It was fixed under warranty and no more problems (8K miles later), but there was a wait as the part had to be got from Scandinavia somewhere.
  • There was a dashboard rattle that was fixed under warranty with no problem.
  • There is now a rattle from a door/somewhere which they're going to sort out at the next service in another month (my preference not theirs).

I bought mine through a Subaru dealer because I've been using them for 15 years now and always get excellent support and service. They're not the cheapest, but they know a lot about the cars, always do an excellent job and are happy to find ways to reduce costs where possible (3rd party parts etc.). I get no kickbacks and have no affiliation to them, but if anyone's interested, I can recommend Adams Subaru in Aylesbury, Bucks.

Final, opinionated summary - I have taken it to many out-of -way mountain passes, etc. and still drive home by the weirdest routes I can think of whenever possible, grinning manically at inappropriate moments. It's not sporty-fast, it's not luxuriously quiet or the last word in cabin-chic, but it's very comfortable, feels enormous inside with well-sorted normal-car handling and generally gives the impression that it's gonna just go where you point it regardless of terrain, weather or anything else. This is of course, not literally true but I feel it encouraging me to find that out which is probably a really bad thing. Overall, I'm very happy with mine, and I'm looking forward to some inclement weather 🙂

• Like 1