Help for a potential Legacy owner

PandaPete

Good afternoon,

Sorry if this isn’t the place to ask this, I just wanted some input from people who know what they are talking about.

I’ve never owned a Subaru before, over the next week or so I’m potentially going to test drive a 2010 legacy 2.0D SE Sports Tourer 5dr. It’s done 141517 miles with full service history. Originally I’d read they were reliable but after I’ve done a bit more digging I’m reading people needing engine replacements. Considering I’m looking to get a reliable car with some stress free motoring is it worth even looking at a car like that?

The sales place (A friend of my dads) says the car is going in early this week for an oil leak to be fixed before I see the car.

Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling

Pete

Wotcha and welcome - Subaru unfortunately do not make a great diesel engine, there have been many reported issues, bearing failures etc.

Dependent on your requirements go for a petrol Subaru or look at an alternate model diesel (but given the imminent persecution of oil burners I would reconsider)

• 2 weeks later...

2010 is still in the age of worst crank failures .

No modern diesel is great thanks to dpf's so not really worth anyone having a modern diesel unless doing very high miles and not short trips as simply to much maintenance costs for more average user .

I don't recommend subaru diesels to any of my customers, petrol legacy is great, stuff from early 2000 way better than newer . If buying diesel cars only buy pre dpf models or don't bother unless like hassle and spendy garage bills . Also buying earlier diesels or petrols give you potentially more future stable road tax and mot emissions .

If you want reliable stress free motoring look at quality older models in A1 condition, I work on the junk day in day out and newer just means cheaper engineered or sourced parts ...

Thanks for all the help and information everyone, after this and what I read online I requested they get a garage to check it all over before I test drove it. The results, there was an oil leak from the crank oil seal on the gearbox? Anyway the guy said it’s not cost effective for him to fix it so he’s putting it through the auctions. Looks like for now at least I’m staying in the FN2. Once again thank you to everyone for your input.

Pete

• Like 1