P0409 with new EGR valve

davidb

Hi

I hope someone could help me please as this is driving me mad.

We had the engine light come on (dont recall the code) and fitted a new non OEM EGR.

Then got an 0409 so changed the valve for an OEM item from a breaker.

Still get 0409 after 2-3 switch offs.

Freeze frame data says error occurs at 0 rpm and 0 mph. Light then stays on at next start up.

Tried a multimeter on the loom, nothing with ignition off, three 'earths' and two at 5 with it on. Not what I thought I'd read, but suggests no broken wires.

Tried to look for other causes being 'blamed' on the EGR. Cleaned the MAP sensor (very dirty) and the DPF pressure sensor pipes (clean). Disconnected MAF and got a code for that, but nothing to do with EGR.

Start up with EGR disconnected threw up 0405 and 0406 only.

Anyone any ideas please - is it EGR number 3?

Thanks

Do you have bidirectional control diagnostic ability and have you tested the egr operation via this and also via bench testing it .
Lot of time the may open and close what appears normal but the position sensor output is wrong and that flags code, other times the valve movement position sensor feedback not matching comand as valve partially sticking or has reduced travel range .

The egr lives a hard life, we only fit new oem as used and aftermarket waste of time .

You had any running symptoms like poor idle, sluggish .

Evening

Thank you MrB, much appreciated

No I don't have any sophisticated equipment i'm afraid, just DIY hand tools. I've not been able to bench test anything.

Everything you say sounds absolutely right - basically everything is working, just not to the exact level as instructed to open/close by. Notably that on engine shut down the valve doesn't shut completely enough (as measured) , according to the position sensor. The light never comes on when running, it's only set when RPM and MPH both = zero.

I cant say that we are experiencing any problems. a bit clattery when cold, and the idle can adjust itself up/down slightly and 'wobble', but only occasionally, and it never feels like stalling - just adjusting itself. In fact everything runs fine, other than the flipping warning light.

I should probably invest in an OEM valve.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 15/1/2019 at 20:29, davidb said:

Sera

Grazie MrB, molto apprezzato

No, non ho alcuna attrezzatura sofisticata, ho paura, solo utensili manuali fai-da-te. Non sono stato in grado di testare nulla.

Tutto ciò che dici sembra assolutamente giusto - praticamente tutto funziona, solo non al livello esatto come indicato per aprire / chiudere. In particolare, quando si spegne il motore, la valvola non si chiude completamente (come misurato), in base al sensore di posizione. La luce non si accende mai quando è in esecuzione, è impostata solo quando RPM e MPH entrambi = zero.

Non posso dire che stiamo riscontrando problemi. un po 'di rumore quando fa freddo, e il minimo può regolarsi leggermente su e giù e "oscillare", ma solo occasionalmente, e non sembra mai uno stallo, semplicemente regolandosi da solo. In effetti tutto funziona bene, a parte la spia lampeggiante.

Probabilmente dovrei investire in una valvola OEM.

Grazie ancora

Solved ??

On 14/1/2019 at 16:49, davidb said:

Ciao

Spero che qualcuno possa aiutarmi, per favore, perché mi sta facendo impazzire.

Abbiamo acceso la luce del motore (non ricordo il codice) e montato un nuovo EGR non OEM.

Quindi ha ottenuto un 0409, quindi ha cambiato la valvola per un oggetto OEM da un interruttore.

Ottenete comunque 0409 dopo 2-3 spegnimenti.

Il blocco dei dati del frame indica che l'errore si verifica a 0 rpm e 0 mph. La luce rimane accesa all'avvio successivo.

Ho provato un multimetro sul telaio, niente con l'accensione spenta, tre "terre" e due su 5 con questa. Non è quello che pensavo di aver letto, ma suggerisce nessun filo rotto.

Ho cercato di cercare altre cause "incolpate" sull'EGR. Pulito il sensore MAP (molto sporco) e il tubo del sensore di pressione DPF (pulito). MAF disconnesso e ottenuto un codice per questo, ma niente a che fare con EGR.

L'avvio con EGR disconnesso ha generato solo 0405 e 0406.

Qualche idea per favore - è EGR numero 3?

Grazie

solved ??

• 7 months later...

Hi I have a 2010 Subaru outback 2.0 and I am also suffering from error P0409. I changed the egr for a compatible one, specifically for this one: https://www.ebay.es/itm/324030019509 After changing the error persists after the third boot. How did you solve it? Have you had to put the original Subaru egr? The problem is something else and I don't thank you very much.