ee20 Diesel Auto 5EAT?

Hello forum

I'm new so forgive some obvious questions. I've owned a number of Scoobies but not worked on any really. I am looking for a BP Legacy/Outback diesel but seeing hairy stories of diesel failure, weak clutches and short-lived 5-speed boxes. So I'm considering buying a dead engine'd car and building a hybrid. I would like to ask what anybody knows about the following:

• Fitting a Euro5 or 6 engine to the Euro4 BP Legacy. I understand the Euro5 engine is a direct swap using the original Euro4 management system and hardware, is the Euro6 the same?
  • Fitting a 5EAT transmission from the H6 to the Boxer diesel, I understand Subaru wisely standardised all its engine patterns, block designs and transmissions so they are all interchangeable, am I mistaken? I also haven't done the math but the ratios probably wont be ideal as stock, but the parts are interchangeable so I should be able to change final & Diff ratios to suit the diesel.
  • Are there issues running an auto box ECU with a manual (diesel) ECU or does anybody have experience swapping an auto into a car (usually the other way round...).
  • Any other advice to this end? Yes, I want a BP Outback, not later, not a Forester, not LPG (business case isn't there unless this proves cost prohibitive...)

Thank you in advance.

Tyler

• 5 weeks later...

I think you've answered most of your questions.  You've got to the point of "there's only one way to find out".

The only thing that does raise an eyebrow is the ECU.  I would look into flashing from an autobox'd one.  I'd imagine the ECU would have a fit to turn on and find out that it's had a gearbox transplant!  There seems to be a lot of noise concerning RomRaider and other software but as of now, I can't find anyone who has successfully used it.  Maybe i'm looking in the wrong place.

Not really practically possible as you will have huge amount issues with a 5eat conversion, what you going do with clutch pedal/gear sensors ?
Would all start requiring massive amount mapping, you would have an auto box ecu and how you going add that to the canbus network .

euro 6 not a easy swap, the common rail system differs too much so can't bolt the euro 4 stuff to it .

The diesel is a known issue engine and simply not worth the bother .

Thanks for the replies guys. Was an ambitious question but I've gone off the diesel after learning about all the issues it can have. Shame as it's a great engine when it's working well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk