A stupid qiestion

A-Rod

Hi guys. Was wondering if on the (2004) 4th Gen Legacy B4, the only way to open the boot is from inside the car near the fuel lever? Like, there's no button anywhere on the boot lol. What is this sorcery?! I was looking for a key hole but there's nothing.

No such thing as a stupid question. 
Should be something under the chrome trim under the Subaru badge. There’s usually a key hole around there too, in case of emergencies or flat battery. 
Hope this helps 
Thanks for the prompt response. The thing is, there is usually a button or something which is common sense. I tried looking underneath the numberplates where the lights are based but nothing. No key hole. So strange. I'll triple check tomorrow to see that I'm not going completely bonkers.5b1b299dd500331f42c49cc61543dd68.jpg

This was really bugging me (don’t ask me why 😂). So ended up finding this video... 

The section with the boot is around 3 mins from the end... turns out you can only open it from the key fob or the lever inside! 

• Like 1

This was really bugging me (don’t ask me why [emoji23]). So ended up finding this video... 

The section with the boot is around 3 mins from the end... turns out you can only open it from the key fob or the lever inside! 
Thanks bud. This was actually killing me too! I've bought my first ever Subaru and it's a lovely machine, albeit a 2.0i and basic trim, I still love it. I come from an e60 520d M Sport which had every available option, which also became a money pit with mega expensive repairs; unfortunately it died a month ago too so I decided to buy a good old Japanese car that will outlive any German car.

But anyways. The boot scenario was one thing that shocked me. Another thing is the key, unlock and lock. Everytime I drive, stop, switch the ignition off (for example to fill my car up at the petrol station), then get back in the car and it simply won't start unless I press a button on the key twice, weird. I'll get used to it lol. Love the subaru soundtrack it makes though!

I’m on my third now, they’re addictive! Agreed, I just came back from an e39 523, good car, but as you say, parts are ridiculous prices... particularly wheels! And I’ve been driving it the last couple of days and just feels far too sedate for my liking. 

I think that’s just part of the security system, in my Impreza you have to press the unlock button while it’s in the ignition to start it. 

Just to close the loop and in case anyone ever getsbthe same question as me. My car is a 2.0i from 2004. Very basic model as I needed an A to B vehicle, however now fell in love with Subaru brand and will be importing one from Japan this year, a Legacy Spec B!!!

My current car though, it has a key with 1 button only, which works to close, open the car as well as open the boot and an ability to trigger panic mode (anti theft). It also has an immobiliser.

Here's how it all works:

Unlock - press a button once
Lock - press a button once
Open boot - when unlocking the car you have to hold the button until you hear the boot mechanism unlock
Panic - when the car is locked, press and hold the unlock and then press lock for 10 seconds.
Immobiliser: once you come to a stop and want to switch the car off, switch off the ignition and pull the key - immobiliser should automatically engage by default and a red key flashes. To start the car, put the key and switch ignition on but don't start the car, now whilst the key is in the ignition, press the unlock button and start the car.

That's pretty much what I've learnt during the weekend. My car key Battery was nearly dead so wouldn't respond to me pressing the buttons every now and again.

I hope this helps.

Will crawl through the forums to find out what upgrades I can get in the future once I get my hands on a Spec B.

I don't know yet but either will do tbh. I went from having 177bhp in a torque mad 5 series to 138bhp which isn't enough to put a smile on my face. Anything with circa 240bhp will do though.

If you go for the 3.0 they were a uk spec car, so should be easier to find and cheaper to insure etc etc- just be wary of road tax prices post 06 
Although obviously you won’t get the fun turbo noises! 
Thanks. I heard about the post 06 road tax being an absolute rip off. Why so though?