air intake help

Cooky1996

Hi i'm after some intake help, i bought a blob sti a couple of weeks ago and it came with a short cone filter.

the filter was covered in holes and burns so instead of replacing it i removed it and opted for the standard airbox setup (minus the resonator) with a green performance panel filter.

since then i have noticed a lot more turbo lag, turbo seems to hit full boost at around 3500rpm, instead of 2800rpm before.

The car has been remapped previously and i wonder if the map was written for the short intake previously on it?

My question is do i need to get the car mapped again to accompany for the different intake?

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

IMG_2029.jpeg

image_6483441.JPG

Good posibily that the bigger dia maf tube , spun trumpet and cone filter had been mapped in previously. As it would normally have run a bit rough without those mapped in in the first place . 

I'd imagine it might be running a bit rich with a more restrictive air intake , although the standard air box set up is (supposedly) good for low 400hp.

The ecu might "learn " the new (old oe) air box but it could also be pulling timing and adjusting fuelling for safety. 

If the ecu is locked to a mapper and you don't know who or don't want to use them , maybe get a dyno health check done for piece of mind (about £60) 

57 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Good posibily that the bigger dia maf tube , spun trumpet and cone filter had been mapped in previously. As it would normally have run a bit rough without those mapped in in the first place . 

I'd imagine it might be running a bit rich with a more restrictive air intake , although the standard air box set up is (supposedly) good for low 400hp.

The ecu might "learn " the new (old oe) air box but it could also be pulling timing and adjusting fuelling for safety. 

If the ecu is locked to a mapper and you don't know who or don't want to use them , maybe get a dyno health check done for piece of mind (about £60) 

Thanks for the reply, I did disconnect the Battery for about an hour and drain all of the capacitors in hope that it reset the ecu when I installed it all, everything runs ok and power doesn’t seem to have dropped at all but is just seems higher up in the rev range!

i will take your advice and try and track down the original mapper to se if he can try and balance everything out for me.

thanks again

No problem,  disconnecting the Battery and letting the system fully discharge ,is supposed to reset the ecu but only any codes and possibly anything "learned" by the ecu .

If it's been mapped the new map will be the stock map , so it won't revert back to the factory "stock" map . 

It's probably been mapped using ecutek and shouldn't cost much to tweek the map if you can find the person who mapped it . If not it will probably mean you'd have to pay another mapper for the tweek and another ecutek licence fee (about £150 ).

Best of luck with it 👍