Diagnosing pinking/knocking with Android TOrque Pro app

dvines

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the UK with a 2.5 non-turbo 2005 car.

I
am having real problems with knocking/pinking in my car, especially
when the weather is hot. Now the weather has cooled down a little it is
better, but it is stil doing it at times.

I am getting it when I
lift off the throttle, then goback on the throttle at low speeds, eg
intown. 2000rpm/20mph in2nd gear (its a 4-speed auto) sem to be the
trigger points.

I have teracleaned the car (removes carbon), replaced the knock sensor, changed the plugs, and cleaned the MAF sensor and beyond thatam at my wits end to know where to go next.

Just
bought the ANdroid Torque app and a Bluetooth scanner but not really
sure what I am looking for in the logs, or what to log.

I used to be a research scientist so used to looking at this kinda stuff, but really need somehwere to get started and focus on.

anyone help me with what to log (and how to log the knock sensor with this app - Ican't find the option)/

David

what software are you using for the android app Torque Pro what I use gives you a list of error codes. 

I would look at the air side of things with everything else you have said you have done Check for cracks or split's on the air intake. And check the MAF (mass air flow sensor) Other then that I'm not really sure as you seem to have done everything for the fuel side of things. Hopefully Tlag MD Bips or Adam might be along all very knowledgeable with Subaru engine far more then I have :D

Oh and welcome to S.O.C ;) 

Agree sounds like incorrect mixture - running lean through too much air

A long shot but - do you know if the car has had the ECU altered at all as if it had been done when the engine had the deposits in place it will now be set incorrectly.

Are your plugs in good condition are your injectors in good condition, you have decoked the lump but the injectors may also need some ultrasonic treatment

I bought hte car from a UK main dealer so I would be surprised if there are any mods to it.

How easy are the injectors to get out - I can prob find an ultrasonic cleaner bath at a mates ( will the workshop cleaning type be Ok and what should I immerse them in ??)

Plugs are new this month..

Held on by a single screw / nut - not familiar with the access to them on the legacy though... workshop cleaning type will be fine use the cleaner which is designed for machine and carburettor parts - the ratio will depend on the particular brand and will be a recommendation on the side of the fluid.

there are other methods on you tube using syringes, 9v batteries and brake cleaner if you fancy a different option.

sort out the engine codes generated first before you pull the injectors out as it may give a clearer indication or point to a faulty sensor

Oh sorry I've just read back through and see the MAF was changed and plugs haha :)

well for my 2 pence I would get a sprayer any will do bit of warm water and spray it while the engine is running onto the air in take pipes you should hear it cough and splutter if the water hit's the split and pulls it in then the air will follow again. Other then that I would say it might be more internal. If it's not the injectors. Again sorry not sure about the 2005 legacy. And I only have a work shop manual up to 2004