Leaking fuel tank

weesarah

Hi welcome to S.O.C 

Sounds like you have a big job on there I'm afraid :(

Relieve the fuel system pressure. Disconnect the negative Battery cable. Remove the rear exhaust pipe and muffler assembly, remove the rear differential assembly and the rear crossmember. Remove the fuel filler cap and drain the fuel into a suitable container. Remove the fuel filler pipe protector. Raise and support the vehicle safely on jackstands. Remove the fuel filler, air vent and delivery hoses disconnect the air breather hoses and evaporation hose from the pipes. Support the fuel tank with a floor jack or equivalent lifting device. Loosen the attaching bolts and lower the fuel tank slightly. Disconnect the fuel pump harness and should be able to remove the tank from there on. Basically everything from under the back end of the car has to be removed. 

As for buying one there is a list of breakers you could try 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/593-subaru-breakers-for-parts/

I'm not sure how well this stuff works or if you can get to the leak to try it, but has to be worth a look :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-B-WELD-8277-Water-Weld-Epoxy-Putty-2-oz-UNDERWATER-NEW-/330769453745?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d036552b1

This is from America. Might be able to get it in the UK some where.

I've also had a look see if I had any workshop manuals only one I have is for the 2001 to 2004 :(

That one can be used on the outside or inside. :D Friend of mine managed to seal a hole in the bottom of a mini he has with it and never leaked since so should be fine. And if you have to take it out I agree you might as well renew it a lot of work not to I wasn't sure where about's the leak is, but if you can't find another tank this should still do the job :)

I'm not sure I just looked it up on eBay I can ask him he lives next door but be later tonight. You could buy it from there they will post to the UK if you really wanted that one, or have a look again on eBay see if there is a UK company that sell's it I just used the 1st one I see to give you an idea :D

what about that metal putty stuff? i used some on a throttle body once, i was smoothing it down on the inside and making it more stream lined and larger and went through with the die grinder, i applied some metal putty and left it over night and it was solis as steel when i went back to it, i was then able to sand it down for a good finish too

http://www.wickes.co.uk/metal-repair-epoxy-putty-50g/invt/243792/?source=123_74&tmcampid=104&tmad=c&tmplaceref=PPC_ggl_0006635&tmcustom=mkwid|W5fPyZGt_dc|pcrid|7531858372|match||plid|&gclid=CIbluOr93rkCFaTLtAod9mgAEQ