EJ22 with 2.0l heads? Identification and help...

Hi all, 

Right - quick introduction I have a '73 VW T2 Bay bus with a subaru conversion. It ran ok ish, then due to flood damage had to be rebuilt (on the cheap) and it ran ok ish after, with a bit of hunting on idle, but made good power. I thought it was a NA EJ20 from a Mk2 Legacy... 

Its currently out of bus as part of the restoration and we are trying to sort it and the loom out and further investigation shows its an EJ22 block, however its been suggested that it might have 2.0l (EJ20) heads on it. They are the ridged / finned type with '16 Valve' cast in to them (see photo). Is there any way to determine which they are? If so is this a good idea? Or should I try and track down some 2.2L heads? 

If it is EJ22 with EJ20 heads is there any caluclator for compression ratios etc, anything else to watch out for to make it run right and should I be using the stock ECU I have - which I assume is from the EJ22? 

Also are all EJ22 blocks closed deck or did they also do an open or semi open version? 

Trying to get a handle on whether its renovating this engine or starting again with a fresh unmolested EJ20 build.

Thanks in advance for the help, to be honest I don't know a huge amount about scooby engines! 

Scooby heads.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know much about na engines , so can't really help .

Fairly sure the ej22 comes in all 3 deck types pending on model and year . However if it is a closed deck 2.2 the block halves are worth £1k and above , so certainly worth whipping the heads off to find out .

With turbo engine compatibility,  it's mainly the inlet "phase " that determines which engine will be a straight swap .

So if you can find out what phase you have, finding a replacement 20ltr that will fit your loom ,inlet and auxiliaries should be fairly easy. 

On turbo imprezas ...

Coilpacks on each spark plug is phase 1

Single coilpack in the centre of the inlet is phase 1.5 .

Single coilpack off set on the inlet is phase 2 .

Bug 2000 onwards have phase 2 with top feed injectors. 

With the coilpack in the centre of the inlet (in your pic) I'd say it was a phase 1.5 which would be based on a v3/v4 late 96 to 98 Impreza engine .

But as I said before I've only ever worked on 92 to 06 turbo imprezas,  so wouldn't want you to commit on buying another engine on just my guesswork. 

Hopefully one of the n.a legacy or impreza owners on here will know for sure .