2018 Forester Reversing lights

Andy831

Did a search for info relating to this but nothing came up.

New to the Forester and I am very disappointed with the performance of the single nearside reversing lamp given where I live in the Pennines where most of the roads I use are unlit and at best single track with tight stone walls both sides, so if you meet someone coming the other way at night time it can result in having to back up maybe 300 metres to a convenient passing point and the single reversing lamp is just not adequate for seeing either with the camera or by hanging out of the drivers window.

So my question relates initially to the spare bulb holder on the drivers side, is it actually "live" so its just a case or removing the blank bulb and replacing it with an additional reversing bulb?

Alternatively has anybody tried the aftermarket LED bulb replacements, and if so does this relatively easy fix improve matters, and can anyone recommend a brand name to try as I have been bitten by cheap Chinese replacements in the past.

Thirdly if neither of the last two solutions are going to do it, then has anyone tried separate aftermarket reversing lamps maybe wired into the existing reversing lamp circuit?

Andy

Why not try moving your existing reverse light bulb across to check if it is live - dont know your model but I take it it is not your rear fog light on the opposite side?

I have purchased LED REV light upgrades from this supplier with no issues

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-NEW-2019-50W-W16W-T15-UPGRADE-HP-CREE-XBD-LED-WHITE-SIDELIGHT-BULBS-ALL-CARS/152727360306?hash=item238f429332:g:Um0AAOSwYPJdr4jd

• Thanks 1

You are correct Jay the other side that I thought was a blanked off reversing light is indeed the rear fog light so that buggers up one idea, so my only choice seems to be either a single more powerful bulb in the nearside which I doubt is going to be bright enough, or consider additional rear LED reversing lamps mounted into the rear bumper.

Thanks for your help

I bought an 80w equivalent LED bulb for the single reverse light on my previous Landcruiser, powerful as a decent spot light, probably not legal and i didn't submit the motor for MOT with it fitted, the red lenses for the rear fogs were prone to fading on that model,  red LED from the same seller sorted that too.

Sadly i didn't keep the name of the seller and it's too long ago to be on ebay's history, not cheapies by any means, a UK seller.

On my previous Hilux, again one measly reversing light and leds in their infancy, i had a sparky wire in two very small Ring spotlights fitted under the rear bumper wired in to the main reversing light feed but via a relay, had the more powerful LED as fitted to the Cruiser been available i wouldn't have needed those extra lights.

• Thanks 1

On my imprezas I have moved the foglights to the bumper replacing reflectors with combination LED reflector units £15 and then linked the left side to the right by a single wire plus upgrading to 80W LED's - passed MOT no problem

20190908_212226.thumb.jpg.7a999a966300a6790309de9044f78f03.jpg

20190908_212021.thumb.jpg.ede6fd8aee3bdc42164703ebbff4a238.jpg

Would this fit your model? Then you could add the second reverse light

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Lens-Rear-Bumper-Reflector-LED-Fog-Tail-Stop-Brake-Light-08-Subaru-Forester/223716897170?fits=Car+Make%3ASubaru%7CModel%3AForester%7CCars+Year%3A2018&epid=20018305328&hash=item341690f192:g:NEgAAOSwWhlc5ClC