4th Generation Outback

Mau

Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a petrol 2010-2013 outback with the 2.5 litre engine and lineartronic transmission. Are there any potential major expenses with this model in higher mileage cars ( over 80,000) that i should be aware of. I would only buy with full service history etc but i have read that the transmissions can develop expensive faults and of headlight bulbs that regularly need replacing.

I realise that all cars require maintenance with age, but am trying to factor in typical running costs over the initial purchase price.

( i am coming from a diesel Toyota Hilux surf that has cost very little to maintain over the past 12 year ownership, but needs to be changed due to emission laws).

Much appreciated

Mauro

I've got a 2011 petrol CVT which I've had no issues with.Headlights are hid in the UK, not the old style h7 bulbs they had in the states that tend to blow every 5 mins! The CVT fluid is supposed to be lifetime fluid (if you don't tow), but I did a drain and fill which is a bit of a faff. At 80k + check the timing belt has been done, (2013 on had chains I think) and spark plugs should have been done. Loads of videos on YouTube showing main maintenance items. Happy hunting, they're great cars!

Hi,

Thanks for the info, was concerned because i had read that the auto gearbox can develop expensive faults ( American websites) and that general maintenance can be a lot more expensive than " regular " Jap cars ie Toyota / Honda.

I like  Subaru because they have a proven 4x4 system which i want in my next car and it has to be petrol, also they are quite rare.

Any idea on cost to change cambelt, pulleys and waterpump etc on this model.

Thanks

Mauro

Timing belt and pulleys are less than £200 for the parts, and not difficult if you can handle a spanner. (Mr Subaru on YouTube is a great resource) A garage will probably charge 3 or 4 hrs labour on top. Water pump can wait till second belt change, they're pretty robust, but add say £50 and an hour's labour for that.